Notices

00 CLASSIC TO AN 05 STI ???

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2005, 09:32 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 CLASSIC TO AN 05 STI ???

I'm thinking about changing my classic (approx 290bhp) to an 05 STI. Classic is quite well modded, (GEMS,Decat,FMIC, ect) and I wanted to keep the STI pretty much standard, save for a decat & panel filter.

Main questions are:
1) How much power would this give an sti? (261 std)
2) Would my classic be noticeably quicker?
3) Does the 6 speed box offset the extra 150kg or so extra weight (of the sti)so the acceleration will seem similar?

I'm sure that quite a few of you have been in this situation, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Daz
Old 05 February 2005, 10:26 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Why are you planning on buying a new car and ruining it's 2 year guarantee by doing a filter and decat change? If you only want first stage development, surely it would be madness not to get the PPP (300hp 300lb-ft) and keep the 2 year guarantee? For 1600 squid, you get new exhaust, new fuel pump, you keep one cat (hence, road legal), remapped ECU, and new intercooler hoses (or some kind of piping anyhow, can't remember). I reckon thats a bargain, especially as you get to go back to the dealer and bark at him if anything goes wrong for 730 days!

The classic would never compare to a PPP STi for a number of reasons, including much evolved chassis rigidity, better engine setup, completely redesigned suspension, better breaks, and most importantly, whereas the classic has one LSD in the back, the MY05 STi has a better LSD at the back, and a new-style Helical LSD in the front, not to mention the DCCD. It's in a league of it's own, as far as I can see.

As for the gearbox, it's a much better item than any of the 5-speed models subaru has ever offered. You only have to look at how many highly-tuned WRXs are swapping for an STi box when theirs blows. Kudos for noticing the 150 kg difference, but honestly mate, the STi is one of the best cars you can buy for the money, and a good couple of years younger than your classic.

Get an STi, you won't ever look back.

Last edited by Engineer@Uni; 05 February 2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05 February 2005, 10:36 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

1) maybe 280 with mapping maybe 330
2) Yes
3) No - extra weight of STi approx. 200Kg over a classic.
Old 05 February 2005, 11:30 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Fitting an exhaust shouldn't really make any difference to the warranty and if anything were to happen, its easy to change back before the work. So that doesn't bother me.
My classic has had about 8k spent on it making it go and stop better, so foolishly I dont really want to go down that road again. Just buying the thing is expensive enough for me. (Although I'm already looking at wheels, Doh!) A ppp conversion is 2k, and TSL do one similar, but I think I really would like to leave it alone.
As for the trick diffs, aluminium components and inverted struts, I really don't question the handling at all.
The 6 speed box I'm sure will be nice, and interior quality is a world apart, which is good, but is the thing going to be able to thump down the road like mine with all that extra weight?
Got a test drive booked for next week, so I've got 7 days now to stew over this !
Old 06 February 2005, 09:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dazc
Fitting an exhaust shouldn't really make any difference to the warranty and if anything were to happen, its easy to change back before the work. So that doesn't bother me.
Oh it does as a full decat makes them spike to silly boost levels and if you have an engine failure, Subaru UK now strip the engine before paying out on the warranty (and they can tell whats happened).

If you want to modify, then you have 2 options, go for the PPP, which will keep your warranty, or go for a Jap import, some of which have warranties with them (www.litimports.co.uk for instance), i feel that these will either meet or exceed your expectations of the car, unless you want to throw your cash away?

Tony
Old 07 February 2005, 09:22 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

What Tony said.
Old 07 February 2005, 11:50 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

Daz, wait for your test drive. I drove a STi type UK with and without PPP and was dissappointed sp decided against it.
Old 07 February 2005, 12:31 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

I drove 04 STi with PPP and kept my MY99 PPP instead. Looking at an MR340 next or Scoob JDM.
Old 07 February 2005, 12:46 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

With your mods on a classic you may be dissapointed with the STI even with PPP. It may be better riding and comfyer but that's it.

From 30 mph to 120 MPH a classic with circa 245BHP can not be dropped by a PPP'd STi MY03. The weight makes that much difference.

I bet you'll be modding the PPP STi after a couple of weeks ownership.

F
Old 07 February 2005, 10:51 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

I agree with Floyd having driven both. I found the STi with PPP powerful and smooth but lacking the incredible overtaking punch of my My99 PPP RB5.
Old 07 February 2005, 11:15 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

I think thats something I would miss. Overtaking is devastating at the min, and I would probably still be happy with 90% of that ability. Sounds like its got a lot to live up to. Still I will approach it with an open mind as the STI are supposed to be a bit happier to rev aren't they?
Must thank you all for comments so far, though, really appreciated. One other thought is how on earth do you find an extra 200kg to put in a car? Beats me.
Old 08 February 2005, 10:33 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Well, 200kg isnt that much if you take into consideration the greatly increased chassis rigidity and side impact bars (all achieved by more steel reinforcements), the heavier gearbox and the two extra diffs (probably 20-30kgs each diff or more) Add that to the increased size of the new design 'prezza and it's rather impressive they onyl weigh that much. M3s manage to weigh 200kg on top of an impreza and they dont have either a turbo setup, or the 3 diffs. Plus they only have 2 doors.

I think the test-drive will be the turning point...

But if you're that insistent on the weight, I'd suggest checking out litchfield imports Spec-C (http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/). It's an absolute killer, and has only a 50kg handicap with respect to your current car.