Notices

Sigma M30 Alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2005, 11:23 AM
Fox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sigma M30 Alarm problem

My MY01 WRX has recently developed a problem where occasionally the offside indicator lights stay on when arming or disarming the alarm. It doesn't seem to effect the functionality of the alarm in that it neither prevents the vehicle starting, nor sounds any siren.

However last night, the alarm suddenly went off and when I checked the car, the offside indicators were on. No other signs of tampering, open doors etc.

Not wishing to disturb anyone further (this happened at 3.30 this morning !) I turned off the alarm and simply locked the car using the key, however I would obviously prefer the alarm to be working properly.

Anyone have an idea as to what might be causing this? I checked the diagnostics for last trigger and it showed ignition - but unless there is a fault in the system I can't see how that could be correct.

All help appreciated.

Regards

Fox
Old 18 March 2005, 03:32 PM
bigboydave
Scooby Newbie

does anyone know about this, my 2000 has statred doing this. The right hand indicators stay on when driving, and stop the other side working. Worried it will burn something out (although, if fuse does its job, should be ok.) also, driving along with one side indicators on is not good. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 18 March 2005, 04:03 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by Fox
My MY01 WRX has recently developed a problem where occasionally the offside indicator lights stay on when arming or disarming the alarm. It doesn't seem to effect the functionality of the alarm in that it neither prevents the vehicle starting, nor sounds any siren.

However last night, the alarm suddenly went off and when I checked the car, the offside indicators were on. No other signs of tampering, open doors etc.

Not wishing to disturb anyone further (this happened at 3.30 this morning !) I turned off the alarm and simply locked the car using the key, however I would obviously prefer the alarm to be working properly.

Anyone have an idea as to what might be causing this? I checked the diagnostics for last trigger and it showed ignition - but unless there is a fault in the system I can't see how that could be correct.

All help appreciated.

Regards

Fox
The M30 alarm system has only one relay which controls the indicator flash output. This output is then split and dioded to the LHS and RHS indicator circuits. If the relay within the alarm were to stick in the closed position this would bring both the LHS and RHS indicators on simultaneously.
To bring the indicators on, only on one side, would imply that the feed is being supplied to the vehicles indicator circuit before the dioded output from the alarm.
It is also interesting that you mention that the triggered circuit was the ignition - it may be that a circuit on the vehicle is going live and back feeding through the ignition causing the alarm to trigger... or this may just be a red herring.
Other possibilities that could ause the indicators to stick are the indicator flasher relay or even the bulbs themselves if the original items have been replaced with aftermarket items of a different wattage (frequently found with silver faced bulbs) - the increased wattage can damage the contacts within the flasher relay over time.
Might be worth checking these items before contacting your dealer.
SS
Old 18 March 2005, 05:52 PM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

i would expect a new alarm ecu to cure this problem well it did last time i had this happen
Old 20 March 2005, 06:39 PM
carmad140
Scooby Newbie

hi i would like someone to tell me. i have just got a second hand car.we got the car in jan but the car alarm will go off as soon as you push the putton i have done all it says in the book but it still goes off what can t do if you know e-mail me on lewis_rooker@hotmail.com
Old 20 March 2005, 06:41 PM
carmad140
Scooby Newbie

as will do i have to put the car alarm in my name