Notices

rotating sti panel filter every 10000km?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2005, 11:21 AM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rotating sti panel filter every 10000km?

I have an JDM sti panel filter on my P1 and was under the impression that they lasted 20000km so was just going to change it every other service. However someone says on the group buy thread that you need to rotate them ie so the sti logo is upside down, every 10000km. Is this true as I've not heard of this before and can't see what difference it would make anyway?
Old 27 January 2005, 03:08 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

I thought it was turn it around, not invert it.....
Old 27 January 2005, 03:16 PM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Thats what I meant turn it around not invert it, I think I will get it done anyway it can't do any harm.
Old 27 January 2005, 07:55 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Surely, if you put the filter in upside down, all the crap that was caught by the filter, will get blown into the engine??? Personally wouldn't risk it, especially when an oe subaru filter (£6!), which in recent studies, has proved to be just as good at filtration and flow as the sti filter.
Old 27 January 2005, 08:54 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Surely, if you put the filter in upside down, all the crap that was caught by the filter, will get blown into the engine??? Personally wouldn't risk it, especially when an oe subaru filter (£6!), which in recent studies, has proved to be just as good at filtration and flow as the sti filter.
That was new though It would be interesting to see how much the filters flowed after 5000 - 10000 miles use. Bet it would be the green and the STI
Old 27 January 2005, 11:45 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree with that, but how good would it be at filtration?? Many people seem to forget that it is actually supposed to stop any crap from going into the engine. Obviously, the more it more dirt a filter catches and holds, the smaller the rate and volume of air flow. Just a question over which you would rather have. onder2:
Old 28 January 2005, 12:38 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree with that, but how good would it be at filtration?? Many people seem to forget that it is actually supposed to stop any crap from going into the engine. Obviously, the more it more dirt a filter catches and holds, the smaller the rate and volume of air flow. Just a question over which you would rather have. onder2:
A lot depends on the construction aswell, In my mini days I used a book called Tuning the A series engine by David Vizard. The best filter he found when caked up was K & N. But was impressed by their filtration rates aswell. But he was always dubious of foam filters. And after seeing how good the foam dust filters we have on the kit I fix at work are. I`d certainly not put one in my car cos they are ****e.
Old 28 January 2005, 01:06 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Arrow

He doesn't mean dirty side up, he means looking from the front of the car, the STi logo will appear upside down. (rotation about the vertical axis )

There may be some reasoning behind it. After 23k miles my standard filter had quite a circular pattern of black dirt which I'm sure was causing a "lumpiness". A new filter cured it almost immediately.

What about carefully using a vacuum cleaner?
Old 28 January 2005, 04:50 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about replacing it every 10,000 miles? they're only 50 quid and balanced against a potential engine failure it seems cheap to me..................

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
Old 28 January 2005, 05:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been told these are good for 20k, ill let you know if there are any adverse affects of running it over 10k miles.

Tony
Old 31 January 2005, 09:19 AM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

I asked Luke at SGT and he said he tapped it out for me at my last service. He said they get blocked up in one area and if you rotate it it will just get blocked in two areas so its best to leave them. (made sense to me anyway)
Old 31 January 2005, 06:34 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
What about replacing it every 10,000 miles? they're only 50 quid and balanced against a potential engine failure it seems cheap to me..................

£50 for a filter your having a laugh,stick with the OEM paper one for £9 and change it every 6 months.

There is no way the STI filter is worth £50 and with no drastic increase in engine performance whats the point.
Old 01 February 2005, 08:55 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

the engine breaths much better at the top end using an STi filter, the paper ones strangle the engine above 6Krpm.

I used to rotate mine at 6K and change it at 12K.
Old 01 February 2005, 10:39 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
£50 for a filter your having a laugh,stick with the OEM paper one for £9 and change it every 6 months.

There is no way the STI filter is worth £50 and with no drastic increase in engine performance whats the point.
I repeat: £50 quid against an engine failure seems cheap and JF is dead right the strangulation higher up is potentially dangerous to the wellbeing of the piston crowns.

Your choice.