Notices

Buying my first Subaru..some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2005, 04:08 PM
1964marco
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Buying my first Subaru..some questions..

Hi all,

My first post here, been reading alot of the site over past few weeks. I've now sold my motorbike (Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa - Wife made me do it) and want something fast on 4 wheels instead of 2!

I've been to look at one scooby already, a '94 L, WRX Turbo and it was a bit of a pig. Going to look at another in Plymouth on Friday, supposed to be a minter, '95 N, WRX 260bhp, 53,000 miles, + few extra toys, advertised at £6000 all standard, and having 17" alloy wheels, full exhaust and turbo timer thrown on for an extra £1000. (Insurance quote £305 Fully Comp - with the Quote me Happy people at Norwich Union)

The questions I like to know:

How hard is it to get hold of general parts, i.e ball joints, brake pads, oil filters? I'm guessing they'd be different from UK spec cars.
Anything specific I should look for or ask about this car?
Exact mileage for cam belt change? 45K? Any major services?

Thanks

Marco
Old 26 January 2005, 04:29 PM
Darbo_wrx
Scooby Regular

no problems at all

buy a wrx import with confidence

all parts can be bought fairly easyly cambelt should be done every 40k ish same as all cars
should have a alloy bonnet and alloy front wishbones all wrx have them take a magnet it shouldnt stick if you r unsure
idealy you want a STI as they are abit quicker but trimmed nicer
buy one a enthusiast as had with 4 pots and nice wheels ect 6k should get you a good 1
Old 26 January 2005, 04:39 PM
1964marco
Scooby Newbie

I've never brought an import before full stop, but have heard and read they can be top cars with better refinement than they UK counterparts. Good idea with the magnet..I live down in South West, Cornwall, so Imprezas and very few and far between, plus I need to buy from a dealer to P/X my current car as well. I've seen a couple of STi's but none that are low mileage, in White or Silver and within about 150miles from where I live.

I'm in no real hurry to buy the first car I find, but I definately want an Impreza!!

Thanks

Marco