Notices

Shell Optimax! What's it all about.

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2005, 11:12 PM
ivanelofanitch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell Optimax! What's it all about.

Be gentle guys!

I've been reading through a few posts and several have mentioned using Shell's Optimax fuel.

I've had MY98 for two years now and never used anything but unleaded (Tesco brand). I have a GReddy turbo boost fitted and trust/scoobysport decat believe the car runs out at somewhere near 280bhp

Does this optimax fuel make a noticable difference?

John
Old 24 January 2005, 11:17 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Not in terms of power maybe, but heathier on the engine in terms of det.

I doubt you will have 280 with just a full decat. Whats a Greddy turbo boost? Presume you mean an electronic boost controller?

Fuelling is more critical on Jap imports. I believe it says on your fuel cap that 97 ron is required?

Having said that, I wouldn't touch supermarket fuel. There was a big debate a while ago, but I still maintain they dont use the additives that the majors use.

MB
Old 25 January 2005, 08:54 AM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Not in terms of power maybe, but heathier on the engine in terms of det.

I doubt you will have 280 with just a full decat. Whats a Greddy turbo boost? Presume you mean an electronic boost controller?

Fuelling is more critical on Jap imports. I believe it says on your fuel cap that 97 ron is required?

Having said that, I wouldn't touch supermarket fuel. There was a big debate a while ago, but I still maintain they dont use the additives that the majors use.

MB
Yes they do as it comes from same refinery. They dont stop oil refinement before adding additives just cause its for supermarket.

1). Its not cost effective and actually will cost refinery more to halt process just to off load fuel with no additives, and is probably impossible due to the refinement processes used.

2). Ask a tanker driver or service station manager where the fuel comes from, you will be surprised.

Oh Tesco fuel comes from TOTAL refinery!
Old 25 January 2005, 08:59 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Moray, I work for one of the larger oil companies and know the score. Ive spoken to various contacts and the additives are added after road tanker loading.

It might come from the same place but it changes on the way to the pump. Im not gettng into this argument again, all the mappers have *seen* the gains to be had when using Optimax during mapping, and ive seen the knock difference between BP Ultimate and Optimax. Proof enough that the fuels are not one and the same.

MB
Old 25 January 2005, 03:04 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Even with proof Mark, some people will still say supermarket fuel is just as good. I know that even when I use shell diesel is my astra td, there is a better punch and my mpg rises slightly. I won't use anything else other than shell, especially in my sti (optimax that is!)
Helped a neighbour out when his ford mondeo td started playing up. Took the motor to my local diesel centre, and they determined it to a bad batch of fuel. What a suprise when it turned out that it was from a Supermarket pump. The guy at the centre said to us that he has seen so many knackered diesel pumps which have been run a the stuff. He flushed the system through, did an ecu reset and filled it up with shell from across the road. No problem since.
And to some of you non-believers out there, just look at ferrari at the moment. When their engine development consists of around 50% of their R&D budget, the fuel they use is going to make a difference. Yes, shell use additives, but the fuel used in formula 1 must be close to that of road fuel, its in the rules!!!
Old 25 January 2005, 03:22 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Even with proof Mark, some people will still say supermarket fuel is just as good. I know that even when I use shell diesel is my astra td, there is a better punch and my mpg rises slightly. I won't use anything else other than shell, especially in my sti (optimax that is!)
Helped a neighbour out when his ford mondeo td started playing up. Took the motor to my local diesel centre, and they determined it to a bad batch of fuel. What a suprise when it turned out that it was from a Supermarket pump. The guy at the centre said to us that he has seen so many knackered diesel pumps which have been run a the stuff. He flushed the system through, did an ecu reset and filled it up with shell from across the road. No problem since.
And to some of you non-believers out there, just look at ferrari at the moment. When their engine development consists of around 50% of their R&D budget, the fuel they use is going to make a difference. Yes, shell use additives, but the fuel used in formula 1 must be close to that of road fuel, its in the rules!!!
So what Octane rating is F1 fuel? Where are the rules on the net send me bookmark please! Intresting to see an F1 runs on road fuel. Sort of makes running your Scooby on 98 ron when 95 ron fine bull**** really!!!
Old 25 January 2005, 03:41 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

http://www.formula1.com/insight/tech...fo/11/646.html
Suck on that!
Old 25 January 2005, 03:50 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

"Sort of makes running your Scooby on 98 ron when 95 ron fine bull**** really!!!"

Not quite sure what you are trying to say??
Old 25 January 2005, 04:22 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Chris, poor quality fuel is generally from contamination - this is the fault of the "petrol station" not to be confused with the quality of the product which was refined.

Bear in mind a number of them are franchises.

Again, the choice is yours but I wouldn't use it and never have. None of the top tuners on here would reccomend it either. I remember having to fill up my UK scoob with 95 from Texaco as Optimax wasn't availale, CEL came on and went into limp mode until it had retarded the ignition timing.

Sort of like the people who skimp on engine oil and other mods really

MB
Old 25 January 2005, 04:23 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

PS - I dont work for Shell.

MB
Old 25 January 2005, 04:24 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Neither do I.
Old 25 January 2005, 04:29 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen people post on here about using regular Super Unleaded over Optimax. I can't fathom the reason as Optimax has a higher octane rating and is cheaper (85.6p/l vs 89.9p/l for Esso SUL) in this area.
Old 25 January 2005, 04:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
PS - I dont work for Shell.

MB
Ok, we believe you

Agree totally though, only Optimax goes anywhere near mine. I think I'll also be happier when I get a knocklink!

Best,
Old 25 January 2005, 04:40 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

OH no not again
Old 25 January 2005, 04:52 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PMSL ....I would have a heart attack if I run my Scooby on Tesco Branded Fuel. I had to once as I was stranded in the middle of no where...and I have never seen so many knock appear on my PowerFc...I would have sucked it out if I saw another petrol pump...

MY98 now pushing 320+bhp was once on 280bhp, though I had more mods to compensate such as a Powerfc, walbro fuel pump decat exhaust etc...

John, I suggest you invest in a Knock link, or something slimier to see what damage you are actually doing to your car, and you will find if you keep to the Unleaded Fuel, you won't have much of an engine left eventually...

Ps: no hard feelings from the above
Old 25 January 2005, 07:47 PM
ivanelofanitch
Scooby Regular

Phew!

Thanks for all the posts guys, I can't say the message is conclusive maybe I should just suck it and see!

Good to see active debate

Cheers

John
Old 25 January 2005, 08:09 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

OK, if you can't get optimax what's the next best? I have a choice of Esso, Shell, & Total here in sunny Guernsey.
Old 25 January 2005, 08:31 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Its not possible to say which of the others is better. I imagine issues on Gurnsey are that the same batch of fuel can sit in the underground storage tanks for a long period of time? Some fuels degrade in quality quicker than others (optimax is suspected to have issues with degradation over time) although I dont know which is better for that.

MB
Old 25 January 2005, 11:32 PM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

Talking

There's a lot of Tesco reference in this thread. I didn't know they sold super unleaded, they certainly don't in Notts area [same with Asda and Morrison].

Only Sainsbury sell super out of the Supermarkets.

Optimax rules OK
Old 26 January 2005, 01:25 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

maybe I should just suck it and see!
Correct

Only Sainsbury sell super out of the Supermarkets
Correct

the additives are added after road tanker loading
Wrong , they are added at the same time as loading

Oh Tesco fuel comes from TOTAL refinery!
Not in the North it don't

Does this optimax fuel make a noticable difference?
as you say "suck it an see "

Last edited by kbsub; 26 January 2005 at 03:00 AM. Reason: spelling