Notices

steering wheel coil.

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2005, 11:16 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel coil.

Had the steering shaft changed on my sti 4 under warrenty as some berk in Japan, stripped the thread that holds the steering wheel on (after market). When I picked the car up on the 23rd Dec, noticed that the air bag light was on. hmmm, thought that it just needed to be re-set. Then I noticed that my horn did'nt work. Took it back to the garage early Jan. Turned out that there was a breakage in the cable which is held in the black box behind the steering wheel.
Over Christmas, my warrenty ran out. Garage is saying that it is wear and tearand hence, not their problem. Bollocks to that I said. Where do i stand legally as the horn worked perfectly before they had the car.
Managed to source a coil from Grade A, 40 squid, bit better than subaru's quote of 550! They said that the indicator and wiper stalks had to be changed too!!!
Are these units fragile???
Old 23 January 2005, 11:04 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only comment on the newage cars, but the spinner allows a constant connection to the horn and airbag as steering lock is wound on.
I'm not too sure about earlier models if they also include indicators and wiper though.

The loom needs setting up as printed on the spinner. Ie spin fully (but gently!!!) to right until it feels like its against a stop then wind back a number of turns according to model.
Reaching the stop varies with model.
Inside it is a two cable ribbon that coils up with lock from the steering wheel.
If it is not set up right as soon as the steering wheel is put on lock, it rips the coiled wire out and you get lose the horn and airbag light comes on.
Alternatively, a monkey may have been playing with the spinner and found that it stops and then turned it further....

Nick
Old 23 January 2005, 11:09 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

thats what I thought.1) noticed steering wheel wasn't straight, 2) hron wasn't even connected, 3) horn now doesn't work, 4) air bag light was on, obviously due to there being no feed through the coil. Pr$ck!!!!!!!
Old 23 January 2005, 11:27 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the other hand, they may not have reconnected the end of this loom under the lower dash.
Again I can only comment for newage cars, but there are two connectors - a black one for the horn and a special yellow one (has a lock on it) for the airbag.

Piccie of MY05:

Nick
Old 23 January 2005, 07:57 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

He used a volt meter on the unit itself