water leaking when cold

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2005, 09:58 AM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leaking when cold

Hi guys,
noticed over the past few days that my classic wrx has been losing water when i start it in the morning, water seems to be coming from just above the headers, behind the timing cover. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? theres no leakage when the car has warmed up though, only when cold

cheers,

suhail
Old 20 January 2005, 12:15 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxtasy
Hi guys,
noticed over the past few days that my classic wrx has been losing water when i start it in the morning, water seems to be coming from just above the headers, behind the timing cover. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? theres no leakage when the car has warmed up though, only when cold

cheers,

suhail
Hi mate - From what your saying it sounds a bit like a possible crack in the block somewhere maybe around a water jacket.

What happens is thet the block expands when hot, creating a seal, so no leakage.

I hope i'm wrong but this happened on one of my other cars.
Old 20 January 2005, 12:57 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Water pump related?
There is an issue with MY02-03 WRXs where one of the water pump bolts needs tightening and Subaru called some cars for inspection - fortunately not mine!
JIM
Old 20 January 2005, 07:29 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Hi mate - From what your saying it sounds a bit like a possible crack in the block somewhere maybe around a water jacket.

What happens is thet the block expands when hot, creating a seal, so no leakage.

I hope i'm wrong but this happened on one of my other cars.

Hey mate,
i hope what you're saying is not true, that would be unimaginable how did you have this problem sorted on your previous car, and why did it happen.

cheers,

suhail
Old 20 January 2005, 07:54 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Get the water pump looked at, they do go, mine did and i caught it early. Have a look under the engine to see if the bottom has coolant on it.

The water pump is under the cam belt cover, the bottom rad hose attaches to it on the right hand side of the engine as you look at it.

Dan
Old 20 January 2005, 09:03 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dhorwich
Get the water pump looked at, they do go, mine did and i caught it early. Have a look under the engine to see if the bottom has coolant on it.

The water pump is under the cam belt cover, the bottom rad hose attaches to it on the right hand side of the engine as you look at it.

Dan

Hi Dan,
thanks mate, yea there is coolant under the engine, well on the headers in the area that you mentioned (where the radhose attaches to the pump) i'm pretty sure its the water pump, well i hope it is
How big a job is it to change the water pump?