Buying a WRX tomm, Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2005, 11:31 PM
superross
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Buying a WRX tomm, Help Needed

Hello All, moving to the darkside

Right, im from the 205 world, but have found a WRX i am interested in and should be buying tomm.

Its a M reg, 1995 WRX i think and is standard apart from a full s/s exhaust and a mushroom air filter, he tells me its run on Optimax at all times, and mileage is 50000 KM's so quite low.

Well anyways, went to see it on sat just gone and the car was started up, as i admired the engine bay for a bit i could hear a tinking noise, like a stone in a cement mixer, but it was random if that make sense, sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the engine bay. I asked the owner what it was and he said "could be a belt". Im worried as the car is just above £4500 and i do not want to buy a knackered one.

Now after much research into, heatshields, brake hoses etc i don't believe it sounded like this. But would like to eliminate the problem when viewing again.

It def isnt piston slap either, its not this sort of noise.

Any help/ideas would be great as im not to sure on what Scoobies are like, i.e the peugeot is not the quietist engine, how does the Scooby par up.

Thanks

Ross
Old 18 January 2005, 12:33 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Ross, Hi.

I'm afraid I can't offer you any feedback on the noise you're hearing, just some good advice. If there's any doubt with regard to a car purchase then it's best to walk away, whatever the reason... engine sounds, paperwork problems, suspicions about the owner/seller...

On the flip side you could get some reassuring responses, or even go along with someone who says, "ah, that can be fixed..." but I just hope they're right for you. It's a shame that a lot of folk can fall foul of bad luck with purchases. Given that another example can be sought I'm sure, if I were you I'd live to fight another day mate.

Regards,

Jonty.
Old 18 January 2005, 12:44 AM
superross
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hello Jonty

Yeah, have done this on many occasions, this one just seems great except for that occasional rattle ish noise, are Scoobys perfect? I.e silent on tick over, there were no noises on running which makes me less suspicious.

Thanks

Ross
Old 18 January 2005, 12:49 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Hi Ross, I think I have the same thing as what you have heard.
It comes from the front of the engine, nearside. I took off the cam cover to have a looksee, expecting a nut or summat to fall out...nothing
The noise goes away when engine warms up...so not an object thats completely loose an going round and round with the cambelt.
I have no idea what it is, other than when warm its a tight fit, when cold loose.
Old 18 January 2005, 01:06 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

If the guy's a genuine sort he won't mind you both nipping into your local dealer and ask them to listen. If they're a decent garage and they want your business later they won't mind either. Or ask for his servicing garage number and call them.
My first one, with only 5k on it had a worrying (to me) faint and slightly uneven 'knocking' sound from one side on idle - "oh, that's just the dump valve chattering....." said the dealer's cheif mechanic. He then scared the poo out of me on a test drive and said it was spot on as far as he could tell......I did 90k+ miles no problems before I got my next one.
Of course it could be something nasty - so if you're still keen, ask an expert to listen...?
Old 18 January 2005, 04:45 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The mileage sounds extremely low to me; Id be very careful/suspiscious unless I was able to see the auction appraisal sheet.

Simon
Old 18 January 2005, 06:17 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

m8 if you have any doubts DONT BUY IT!

stew

Trending Topics

Old 18 January 2005, 06:48 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could it have been a tappet? a lot of the phase one engines suffered with tappet noise when cold.

if in doubt walk away. there are loads of scoobs for sale, it is a buyers market - take advantage!
Old 18 January 2005, 11:15 PM
superross
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jjones
could it have been a tappet? a lot of the phase one engines suffered with tappet noise when cold.

if in doubt walk away. there are loads of scoobs for sale, it is a buyers market - take advantage!
Does not sound tappety, more tinny, not pinking or piston slap either, am going back to have another listed as it may have just been something simple.

Having problems with insurance at the moment also

Thanks for your advice guys

Ross