Misfire/Timing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2004, 06:20 PM
IWantaScoobyNow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire/Timing Problem

Hi
I have a MY93 WRX. Recently had the plugs changed due to a misfire problem. However after a week or two it has come back.
Seems to be occasionally missing when warming up and constantly missing if i use more than half throttle. Is it likely when my local dealer changed the plugs etc that they may have knocked the distributor out of sync?. Or is likely to be something else.

Was going to do an ECU reset just by off chance that it may sort something out. I know recently my dad moved it and pressed the accelerator when starting it which is not good to do or so I have been told.

Anyway anyone got any ideas as this is most annoying during christmas.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 28 December 2004, 06:46 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWantaScoobyNow
Hi
I have a MY93 WRX. Recently had the plugs changed due to a misfire problem. However after a week or two it has come back.
Seems to be occasionally missing when warming up and constantly missing if i use more than half throttle. Is it likely when my local dealer changed the plugs etc that they may have knocked the distributor out of sync?. Or is likely to be something else.

Was going to do an ECU reset just by off chance that it may sort something out. I know recently my dad moved it and pressed the accelerator when starting it which is not good to do or so I have been told.

Anyway anyone got any ideas as this is most annoying during christmas.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Might be a problem with the coilpacks,ive heard these can be a bit dodgy if disturbed.
Old 29 December 2004, 11:07 AM
IWantaScoobyNow
Scooby Regular

worth a look i spose, although they did say they checked them and they were ok. will try an ecu reset and see if anything happens if not i am going to have to hang on till the garage opens after xmas.
Old 29 December 2004, 11:59 AM
hostagewrx
Scooby Regular

This happened to mine and it was the coil packs, it was firing on only 3 cylinders and loss of performance and irregular idling. Cheers
Old 29 December 2004, 12:40 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Sound as if it's a coilpack problem. Quite expensive these, so worth doing a little fault finding first and locate the problem pack. Unless of coarse you want to change them all.

If you know what cylinder is misfireing try disconnecting the coilpack on that cylinder and replace it with a cylinder that is fireing ok. If the misfire then goes then you have found the faulty pack. Does that make sense?
Old 30 December 2004, 05:27 PM
IWantaScoobyNow
Scooby Regular

if its a coilpack problem i dont have a clue about them so it will be back to the garage.