HELP, Oil pressure sender

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2004, 11:01 PM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, Oil pressure sender

Hi all,

I recenly bought some cheap SpecR gauges - (the one that has 7 colour display)

I am trying to fit oil pressure gauge by myself. The instructions are not very clear. On the instuction leaflet it shows only the 1 sensor-terminal to be connected to sensor wire and the thread is earth. When I looked at the actual sensor it has 2 terminals, 1 is marked S and the other is W.L./G.
If i am right, I suppose the 'S' means sensor signal. So whats the other terminal for? must be ground or live?????

I also was worried about what happens to the OE pressure sensor? I have been told just to remove it and install new unit. Dont you think the OE one is connected to ECU? wont it mess up things!!!

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mikeswrx02
Old 27 December 2004, 12:03 AM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

i hate to tell u this mate but those guages are a **** to fit
the oil preshure sender should be mounted under the alternator, but the one u have is too big so u need to go demon tweeks and get a braided hose for that so it can be mounted els where.

s does = sensor
the other wire goes to live (i think not 100% sure)
the standard sensor is only a make or break so if it touches earth the oil light comes on or if doesnt touch anything it stays off (could be the other way round) lol
so you could trick it either tape up the wire or connect it to earth.
also i think youll find the thread is different

oh just remembered the is another plug which is just behind the drivers side of the manifold which u could use which would mean you cold still have the standard one in as well. for the warning light.

u c i have one of those sensors as well and they are a **** to fit thats why i aint fitted mine yet.

sorry i couldnt help u a bit more fella....... maybe some one else might have a bit more usefull info 4 ya just make sure its fitted correctly cos it could end in tears if u loose oil.

Last edited by STI Craig; 27 December 2004 at 12:07 AM.
Old 27 December 2004, 02:51 AM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by STI Craig
i hate to tell u this mate but those guages are a **** to fit
the oil preshure sender should be mounted under the alternator, but the one u have is too big so u need to go demon tweeks and get a braided hose for that so it can be mounted els where.

s does = sensor
the other wire goes to live (i think not 100% sure)
the standard sensor is only a make or break so if it touches earth the oil light comes on or if doesnt touch anything it stays off (could be the other way round) lol
so you could trick it either tape up the wire or connect it to earth.
also i think youll find the thread is different

oh just remembered the is another plug which is just behind the drivers side of the manifold which u could use which would mean you cold still have the standard one in as well. for the warning light.

u c i have one of those sensors as well and they are a **** to fit thats why i aint fitted mine yet.

sorry i couldnt help u a bit more fella....... maybe some one else might have a bit more usefull info 4 ya just make sure its fitted correctly cos it could end in tears if u loose oil.
Cheers craig. i will probably fit it on the nearer to driver side manifold instead. You said ur not 100% sure about the 2nd terminal to live. What does your instuction say? could u send me a copy by any chance ?
Old 27 December 2004, 06:29 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

sorry mate i cant find them, and its a bit of a bugger to take them out of the car to have a look.

if your stuck tho phone demon tweeks they should be able to tall u as they sell those guages