Notices

Help fitting top mount intercooler from later car to early model please.

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2004, 12:07 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help fitting top mount intercooler from later car to early model please.

I have a MY94 WRX with the slanty intercooler and wanted to upgrade the intercooler so I bought a second hand 2002 intercooler, from here, which had been "customised" to fit the early models like mine.

Spent 5 hours on it this weekend and ended up back with my old IC on the car.

I did manage to fit the 2002 intercooler, all the piping was good, and I even got the standard recirc dump valve working with it and it worked fine

The problem was lack of space. The IC was so tightly jammed between the throttle body and the bulkhead that I got major vibrations and noise as metal hit metal. So I removed it and went back to the old one.

I can take a hack saw to the throttle body intake and take about 5mm of that but the main problem is the device in red circle in photo below (the red square is the size of the new IC).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...izeofnewic.jpg

The newer models must have a different configoration of this sensor so can I buy a later sensor to give me the space I need?

Also, does the IC mount on left hand side (as in picture below) from later cars fit into the same holes on the gearbox as the old one?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../engine22b.jpg

I am about to give up on this, the guy I bought it off had it working properly and so it must be possible, but I might just sell the focker and get me an MRT

Cheers for any advice.

Rupert

Last edited by Roojai; 13 December 2004 at 12:10 AM.
Old 13 December 2004, 12:08 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

just to add, this is the main offending item:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ai/pipepic.jpg

ps: my blue IC to TB hose was severely shortened during this modification attempt hence it's bedraggled appearance.

But god does that 22b engine look sweet!

Last edited by Roojai; 13 December 2004 at 12:26 AM.
Old 13 December 2004, 12:43 AM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic

have a look at my thread in projects here (half way down the page)

it will be a very tight fit, i ended up not having any brackets holding mine in place it's that tight

the phase 1.5/2 manifold has the throttle body and idle control valve (the item you've circled in red) set further forward giving more space
Old 13 December 2004, 08:34 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Cheers Kev.
One difference that is giving me more grief is that you have a nice thin blanking plate for the BOV location on the new IC, where as I have a hose coming from there going to my recirc BOV.

Nice tidy cut to TB!
Old 13 December 2004, 10:39 AM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic

ah, well in that case, you'll need the later manifold or do what i did and blank it off and use the existing setup

which MY was the previous owners car?
Old 13 December 2004, 10:49 AM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

I have fitted a STI V intercooler to my MY95 UK, very tight fit, I have the hose for the dumpvalve fitted between the throttle linkage and the idle control valve your are talking about ( samco kit part for STI V ) its a bit squashed but works fine. Mine is held in place by the LHS bracket only & the strut brace, it only rubs on start up but this is solved by a bit of rubber tube round the strut brace. It took me 3/4 attempts before i was happy with it & the samco kit made it much easier. Persevere and you will get there

Daz
Old 13 December 2004, 07:58 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Cheers! I'll keep at it then, will let you know how it goes.

Anyone know about the intercooler mount rod from the gearbox up the left side of IC on a 2002? Does it have the same fitment as the early cars?