Notices

Sti 03 engine into 01 wrx auto

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2004, 05:23 PM
Joth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sti 03 engine into 01 wrx auto

An associate of mine blew his 01 auto wrx engine via a broken wastegate hose and a moment of extreme overboost.
He wants to upgrade with a swap over to a Sti 03 engine, but we dont know all that is needed for the swap. So i have a few questions. Both the WRX and new STI engine are JDM.
So far he has the engine/gearbox, and ECU, no wiring loom.

a) Isnt there the VVC feature on the STI engine that is not on the WRX, this means that he needs the complete STI wiring loom?
Can the swap be done with the stock loom? If so, how much would power would be sacrificed by not using the VVC feature?
b) What interior parts would be necessary, besides the gear shift and pedals, would he need the instrument cluster?
c) Would he need the rear diff to go with the 6 speed box? I think the answer is yes, but as i dont know the ratios i still will ask.

Thanks for any help,. Im in the caribbean, and theres lots of JDM bits to play with, but no one is as informed as you lot on here.
Old 21 November 2004, 05:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would need a fair bit to change the engines, the loom is a must, gearbox, rear diff and possably more pieces than that

Id speak to www.apiengines.com tomorrow morning if i were you and they should be able to give you some advice on what you need

Tony