Water Pump Problem

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2004, 03:58 PM
Hot Chicken
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Problem

Hi all,

I think my water pump is knackered as it whines under load and according to the garage I purchased the car from it could be the pump bearings have gone and causing it to slip the cam belt which would explain the loss of power.

Can any one give me a guide to the removal and refitting, as I do not have a repair manual? It’s a 94 L WRX Impreza import.

Also I know this may sound very thick but where are the spark plugs located as they are not the obvious to find like most cars!!

Thanks
Old 20 November 2004, 10:14 PM
scoobtech
Scooby Regular

OK.....with the greatest respect .......if you dont know where your spark plugs are i must advise you NOT to attempt fitting your water pump.

you could completly total your engine if your not 100% sure with cambelts .

and if that is what the garage have said then i really would get it checked elswhere ....if your cambelt has slipped then your allready VERY close to totaling your engine now.

if the bearings have gone in the pump & the pulley seizes or breaks .....you will have a £2000 bill.
Old 20 November 2004, 11:15 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

As above have just re-built my 93 wrx engine after head gasket failure due to failed thermostat and re used water pump only to find the pressure releif valve had failed on the water pump , to change water pump you have to remove power belts ,crank pulley ,cam covers ,cam belt ,and one of the cam belt pulleys , then there are 6 12 mm bolts bolting the pump to the engine there are also two water lines on the front and one at the bottom back , not being rude but if you don't know where the spark plugs are i would not attempt to do this as putting the NEW CAM BELT on has to be done right or good bye engine , best off asking on here who can recommend a known garage in your area to look at your car and carry out the work and also if it is running rough and you think that the damaged pump bearing has caused the cam belt to jump then i would not drive the car any more incase it jumps again and does some servere damage .good luck , by the way got my pump from Alan at AS Performance delivered next day with gaskets for around £75 just to give you an idea of cost and cam belt around £66 .

Mark
Old 22 November 2004, 03:27 PM
Hot Chicken
Scooby Regular

Unhappy Water Pump

Originally Posted by scoobtech
OK.....with the greatest respect .......if you dont know where your spark plugs are i must advise you NOT to attempt fitting your water pump.

you could completly total your engine if your not 100% sure with cambelts .

and if that is what the garage have said then i really would get it checked elswhere ....if your cambelt has slipped then your allready VERY close to totaling your engine now.

if the bearings have gone in the pump & the pulley seizes or breaks .....you will have a £2000 bill.
Thanks for you concern but I do know something about cars and have re-built many engines over the years etc.. I was merely asking the approximate ware bouts of the plugs as I have not had chance to do much under the bonnet of my Scooby as I have not had it long. I was merely being lazy and to be fair they dont stand out like a sore thum like on a Range Rover or somthing!

Anyhow the water pump is not necessarily the problem, I only thought this as the garage in which I purchased the car from said this over the phone with out seeing it.

The car seems to be performing well but with a little power loss in 1st gear and this strange winning noise. The only way to describe the noise is that it sounds a little like a doggy power steering pump, but I can assure you it is not this. And only does it when the turbo opens up.

Any help would be helpful, as I cannot seem to locate the noise. Thanks guys!
Old 22 November 2004, 04:11 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds more like the turbo spinning making the noise.. might be normal turbo spool up or the turbo bearing are on there way out.