Notices

Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2004, 07:53 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Coolant

Got home tonight (just) with steam pouring out from under the bonnet, traced the problem to a split hose on top of the coolant resevoir.
Had a look at the coolant and found it was filthy and had bits in so i'm going to change it.
Is it just a case of dropping the old stuff out (is there a screw under the radiator?) and flushing with a hose the refilling with new stuff or is it a pain (bleeding, etc)

also noticed the plastic coolant bottle was cold when all the hoses were hot - is this normal?

Cheers
Old 09 November 2004, 09:32 PM
scoobtech
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your talking about the plastic bottle that is fixed to the right side of your radiator then YES....this is normal to be cold ....its just a overflow .

and yes.....changing your coolant is that simple ......there should be a drain plug bottom left side of your rad.....(if it hasnt got 1 , take bottom hose off or undo thermostat housing )

let it all drain into a suitable container ......make sure your heater INCAR is set to HOT.

do everything back up ...start putting your water/coolant in once it fills to the top leave the cap off , start engine , & start squeezing the hoses from radiator ....this will help force any locked air upwards & out the resivoir .....once you have done this for about 5 mins .....top up again , put cap on & leave to run untill electric fan cuts in .......keep checking temp gauge INCAR ......turn engine off .......let it cool down ......then carefully remove resivoir top ....CAREFULL >>>> CAREFULL !!!! and top up as nessacary .

HTH

scott
Old 09 November 2004, 11:01 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Cheers Scott - is there any special antifreeze to use or is it all the same (think mine was green but i've had blue in cars in the past)?

I take it i don't need to bleed the system with any bleed screws anywhere?

Think i'll have a go this weekend
Old 10 November 2004, 10:09 AM
scoobtech
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi robby ....theres no bleed nipples ....thats why you sqeeze the pipes for 5-10 mins ..you can use any antifreeze really m8 ......it all does the same .

good luck

scott