Notices

Running an Sti v6 on 93Ron fuel? Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2004, 09:37 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running an Sti v6 on 93Ron fuel? Safe?

Hi guys,
i'm planning to buy an sti ver6 but have one worry, i was told today by a mate who owns a V6 that you can't run the ver6 on any other fuel other than the jap specified 100RON. Is this true? The car i want to buy is standard and here in Zambia we only have 93Ron, i will deffinitely have a remap done but untill then is it safe to drive around with this fuel....? Please help!!

Cheerz,
suhail
Old 26 October 2004, 11:14 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

is it safe to drive around with this fuel....?
Running a car which is setup to run on 100RON on 93RON is likely to cause detonation and could ultimately cause engine damage - If possible it would be beneficial to fit a Knocklink, shown HERE about half way down the page and add Octane Booster to eliminate DET until you can have the remap - At least with the visual aid of the knocklink any indicated DET can be actioned quickly before damage is done

Cheers
Old 27 October 2004, 08:32 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Run it off boost and at low revs until you can get it re-mapped. Unless you want to re-build the engine.

If it was me, I wouldn't even start the car until the mapper was sat next to me ready to re-map it on 93RON.

Oh and Japanese spec fuel is 102RON.

Dave.
Old 27 October 2004, 11:59 AM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

thanx guys,
here's problem number 2!! The car can only be mapped in jo'burg, there's a tuner there who is an agent for ECUTEK, until i get the cash and time to go there, (1500km away) would it be safe to use octane booster and not drive the car too hard? Or i could install a boost controller like the apex-i AVCR and run the car on say .50 bar?
Thanks for your help guys,

suhail.........
Old 27 October 2004, 01:40 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't (personally) start the car with 93 RON fuel in it.

A full bottle of NF (octane booster) will give you 6RON but and at that concentration it destroys lambda sensors and spark plugs within about 2000kms.

My advice would be to either have the car delivered to the mappers address in jo'burg or put it on a trailer and take it down there yourself.

Also not sure what kind of performance you'll get out of it or if it will even run on 93RON, you may want to investigate further as it would be a shame to have a car you can't drive.

Dave.
Old 27 October 2004, 08:19 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

You could as a temporary measure connect the turbo outlet nipple directly to the actuator, blanking the original pipes until remap - this would limit the boost to actuator spring pressure which is ~0.5 Bar, plus add some octane booster for safety

Cheers
Old 27 October 2004, 09:48 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

points taken
just out of curiousity, i recently imported (8months ago) a my97wrx from singapore which im currently running on 93RON fuel, all the scoobies that have come to Zambia are being run on this fuel, some have been here for over a year, so far so good. is there a difference between fuel in japan and singapore? or will i lose my car soon?
Old 27 October 2004, 10:41 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

aren't you running on leaded ? There was a geezer from, I think, zambia that did.

Obviously he'd dropped all the cats by then.

Steve
Old 28 October 2004, 02:34 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
aren't you running on leaded ? There was a geezer from, I think, zambia that did.

Obviously he'd dropped all the cats by then.

Steve
nah mate,
i'm running it on unleaded only, although i have removed all cats. Just found out today that the RON is between 93 and 95. Has anybody here had experiance with aviation gas 100? Is this harmful to the engine or is it ok since its 100RON? This fuel is readily available here and is used on most rally cars, just wanted to know if its safe for day to day driving?

cheerz,
suhail....
Old 06 November 2004, 01:00 AM
sti323
Scooby Newbie

The Version 6 STIs that came to Autralia were ment to run on 100 RON we only had 95-96 at that timer and caused a lot of dead engines that Subaru had to replace.

We now have 98 RON and have no problems. Mine puts out 210kw ATW on 98 RON. With a few mods
Old 06 November 2004, 12:16 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti323
The Version 6 STIs that came to Autralia were ment to run on 100 RON we only had 95-96 at that timer and caused a lot of dead engines that Subaru had to replace.

We now have 98 RON and have no problems. Mine puts out 210kw ATW on 98 RON. With a few mods
Hmmmm, did you have the car mapped for 98ron? I recently saw the one i wanted to buy smoking, the colour of the smoke wasnt black or white but a darkish brown, any idea on what that could be?
Old 06 November 2004, 04:35 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Is that you again Suhail?

MB
Old 06 November 2004, 05:24 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest:

A knocklink
Delta Dash
An AG340 P1 ECU (plugs straight into your STi 6, this has more sensitive knock control and is safe for 97 RON fuel according to Subaru UK)
Use a full bottle of NF per tank and retard the timing on Delta Dash until you shut up the knocklink - I would say you don't want to see any more than greens at the top, and no flickers in the midrange at all.

I say a full bottle, because you want to retard as little as possible to get rid of the det, because in a high ambient with excessive retard you can get high EGTs and melt exhaust valves, pistons and turbos/manifolds or warp the heads. If the retard is excessive you are then best dropping the boost.

You can drop the boost by drilling out the factory restrictor from 0.8mm IIRC to 0.9mm for starters, possibly might need 1.0mm.
Old 07 November 2004, 08:59 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Is that you again Suhail?

MB
Hey MB,
how you doing mate , yup it's me again haha, just trying to figure out whether buying a version6 sti here in zambia where we dont have good fuel, no dynos, no tuners, no nothing is a good idea .
John, thanks once again for the excellant input, i think i'm going to put my ver6 ambitions on hold for the time being, i'm also looking into an evo6 and gtr r33 at the moment, haven't made up my mind yet, there's too many risks with the ver6, thank you anyways

cheerz,
suhail
Old 07 November 2004, 09:03 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I would think that all of those cars would be mapped for 100 ron fuel, so might not be ideal, but the STi seems to be more sensitive to fuel quality.

MB
Old 08 November 2004, 08:17 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

I would think that all of those cars would be mapped for 100 ron fuel, so might not be ideal, but the STi seems to be more sensitive to fuel quality.

MB
Hey MB,
i guess you're right mate, thing is i've seen a couple of R33's in zimbabwe and they seem to be doing just ok, also my cousin who lives with me owns an evo7, although it hasnt done much mileage that seems to be going ok too, the only car that seems to be scary (octane wise) is the sti, i was thinking of getting a ver5 too, how would that vary from a ver6 fuel wise?

suhail
Old 08 November 2004, 09:12 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

V5 and 6 are pretty much identical. Think its the same as the UK in that they went for a slightly safer map on the V6 (STi and UK)

R33 seems like a tough old lump!

MB
Old 08 November 2004, 09:31 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

V5 and 6 are pretty much identical. Think its the same as the UK in that they went for a slightly safer map on the V6 (STi and UK)

R33 seems like a tough old lump!

MB
Hmmm, i see , well i guess i'll just start looking around for an r33 then, seem to be really expensive though. If i can't source a decent one soon i guess i'll juss chuck a vf34 and fmic into my scoob hehehe
Old 09 November 2004, 12:10 PM
Stevie_h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxtasy
points taken
just out of curiousity, i recently imported (8months ago) a my97wrx from singapore which im currently running on 93RON fuel, all the scoobies that have come to Zambia are being run on this fuel, some have been here for over a year, so far so good. is there a difference between fuel in japan and singapore? or will i lose my car soon?
A singapore WRX is not jap spec, its actually Uk/european spec so is mapped to run on 95 ron.

Steve
Old 09 November 2004, 01:47 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevie_h
A singapore WRX is not jap spec, its actually Uk/european spec so is mapped to run on 95 ron.

Steve
Cheers steve,
i've been looking for the answer to that question for a long time, i read on sidc forum that singapore, brunei and 1 or 2 other countries are the only countries that officially import their subarus from japan but thanks for clearing it up for me Does this imply to all singapore spec cars,ie skyline,evo etc as my cousin has an evo7 imported from singapore

thanks,

suhail
Old 11 November 2004, 08:43 AM
Karl 227
BANNED