Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2004, 07:50 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! WHAT CHILD SEAT FITS??

WRX01.

Im having big trouble.
Getting a forward facing rear child seat that fits well.

The buckle is at fault as ive been told by two good child seat fitters.

Does anybody know who can shortern the buckle or give a name of a child seat.

Or the car has to go...
Old 10 October 2004, 08:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I know it's not quite the same, but I tried the Mama's and Papa's child seat in my 93 classic WRX and it fits perfectly in the front seat, in fact if anything, the belt was a little short making it a bit awkward to fit. It's the type that has a fixed base that you "clip" the seat into and is for birth - 15 months, IIRC.
Old 10 October 2004, 09:19 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply.

The seat i need to get is for a 20month onwards. i cant do the front seat because of the air bag.
They did try a nice mamas and papas (same price as car) but wer,nt happy with it.

The girls that fitted it like the car which was more important..
Old 10 October 2004, 10:54 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Bebe Confort Iseos is what we have. Very happy with it.

Steve
Old 11 October 2004, 01:08 PM
Wonder Wagon
Scooby Regular

Try here http://www.britax.co.uk/index.htm but you need to registered

Its a fit finder
Old 11 October 2004, 01:24 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by stevem2k
Bebe Confort Iseos is what we have. Very happy with it.

Steve
Same here, chose this after reading all the positive safety write ups. Went to the shop for fitting since they didn't know if it fitted a MY94 WRX wagon, it fitted.
Old 11 October 2004, 08:45 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used a Maxi-Cosi which came from Mothercare. It provided good anchorage using the standard rear belts and also a full 'race' harness for the nipper.
It also reclines and isn't too un-kind to your rear seat i.e it has no sharp or protruding bits on the base or back that can ruine you seat cushions.

http://www.babybasicsuk.com/home/pro...om.asp?id=1184
Old 12 October 2004, 01:13 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Go into one of the big Mothercare's and they will be happy to bring out several to the car and actually make sure they fit, before you buy it.
Old 12 October 2004, 01:53 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

the subaru baby seat should fit and that is identical to britax,go to halfords and try a few out till one fits
martin
Old 12 October 2004, 05:31 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

As Miniman says, i took my car to Mothercare and they tried 6 different car seats to find the perfect fitting one.

Rob
Old 12 October 2004, 10:14 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miniman
Go into one of the big Mothercare's and they will be happy to bring out several to the car and actually make sure they fit, before you buy it.
Thanks for the replys..

The mothercare place we have here are ill trained trained to fit any care seat.
i would strongly recommend going to an independent babyshop where they fit before you buy..you may be supprised.As ive been.

Ive been to 2 companys. who have tried to fit certain seats,the maxi cosi,britiax first class and a mamas and papas.

Both were not happy with the buckle and how it rested on the seat. they both said with a crash it could put stress to the buckle.

The britax website does show certain seats that should fit an wrx 01 on they fit finder. so ill go back to the company again for another go..

Thanx for all the replys nobody likes to see a scoob sold on
Old 15 October 2004, 08:35 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Does the MY01 have ISOFIX?

Definately the way to go if it has!

We use a Britax Duo-IsoFix (Fits isofix and reg.seatbelts) and it's excellent!

Mind you I did get it for £49.99 (Halfords 50% off sale)!

Our big 10 mth old is very comfy in it (reclines also) and it's suitable up to about 30 kgs I believe? (I'll dig the instruction manual out if you want more info.

Cheers
Jason
Old 15 October 2004, 10:36 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Britax Renaisance fits well in my '02 WRX, Centre rear. The only problem is it needs tightening every few days but this is not any fault with the Impreza as it did the same in my last car. It has a "sure foot" thingy that pushes it into the seat to keep it stable and it reclines when little one is asleep!

It was the best seat on the market when I was looking around (two years ago) as many child seats are sh*te in side impact crashes. You get what you pay for and it only needs to pay for itself once!

My son was in this from nine months (20lbs approx) and he still fits at age three years seven months. I'ts supposed to last until age five.

I did read that ISOFIX was not as safe as a three point belt fixed child seat.

This was from Which? website.

Good luck

Matt
Old 15 October 2004, 11:24 PM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

Right isofix is fitted to imprezas from 02 onwards and isofix is fitted to the actual structure of the car by mechanical means so im not going to put much stock in what Which say.

As for the 01 question im not sure as ive not had chance to fit to one yet, but going by the britax website of the 5 they say will fit id go with the eclipse or the renisance just because they have good fittings. The designs are very up to date the eclipse is now in the SI version wich conforms to new side impact regulations.

As for fitting try to find a fitter that has had proper fitting course peferably the britax, the "buckle crunch" question yes there are issues with the buckle being under undue stress but some amateur fitters will say there is buckle crunch if the buckle meerly touches the seat, but the the buckle has to be under stress at an angle.

Where are you? i can do a fitting for you if you want to pop into Halfords Peterborough.
Old 15 October 2004, 11:29 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

My problems are over and the car can stay a bit longer.. (ford galaxy was looming)

Went back to bush babes and another woman tried more seats. Britax rennaisance will fit. (border line with buckle crushing).but they are happy with the fittment.

makes you wonder how good these companys are when it comes to fitting more than making a sale on a £100plus seat given your childs safety in mind.
Old 15 October 2004, 11:32 PM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

simon would you be so kind to post a photo of it fitted with particular attention to the buckle.
Old 16 October 2004, 09:40 AM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Brother will. cheers for your reply.

Ill get a photo posted showing the buckle area. as im sure there are people out there not knowing about buckle crunch. i didnt.

Are halfords shuting all there AA workshops?
Old 17 October 2004, 08:53 PM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

Looks like it doesnt look like there closing till December though (which is a shame because at this tme of year we could do with the extra storage for bikes ;-) )
Old 18 October 2004, 12:59 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Should have said that I've got an Eclipse in my MY02 wagon. It fits ok apart from his little legs are close to the passenger seat meaning he sometimes kicks the seat and annoys his mother. Maybe a different seat would sit further away? When we brought the seat he was 1 year, and never really thought about him increasing in size (he's now 3 years). Something to bear in mind - how big the child will be in 2/3 years after you buy it.
Old 06 July 2005, 05:02 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Well guys, I'm amazed at the differing views expressed about what will fit and what won't...I've spent over a week on and off, researching this subject and had so many different opinions from so called experts, that I am totally confused. Every seat I've tried in the rear of my 2000MY has not fitted correctly, Mamas and Papas Pro Tech, couldn't get it tight enough to be secure. Britax Eclipse Si, Renaisance, and First Class Si, Maxi Cosi Priori, SPS, and XP, all suffered from buckle crunch, although if you used the alternative route on the First Class Si it didn't, but then it is condemmed by Which magazine for poor front crash performance. So where do we go from here..anyone know if the Chicco Key 1 fits ? or anything else ?

Chaddy, using Micks Log In

Last edited by Mick; 06 July 2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06 July 2005, 07:35 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i have an sti uk 03 and use subaru baby seat,i had a p1 before and fitted graco seat from halfords so should fit uk 2000,i just went down one sun to local halfords and fitted their range till one fitted safely
martin
Old 06 July 2005, 08:49 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Britax Renaisance also works as effectively with centre lap belt according to Britax. I'll have to change from 00MY when daughter grows out of it.
Old 07 July 2005, 09:23 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Careful about having a shop fit one - Mothercare cocked mine up, and you could just push it over sideways with one hand. Wouldn't trust them again. They can show you where the straps go for a particular seat, and how to get the belt tight, but have a good yank around in all direction - it's you kid, not theirs.

I've got the Maxi Cose and Bebe Confort (with adjustable sides) and both fit in the rear of my 93, though the latter is a tight fit
Old 16 August 2005, 09:48 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pwhittle
Careful about having a shop fit one - Mothercare cocked mine up, and you could just push it over sideways with one hand. Wouldn't trust them again. They can show you where the straps go for a particular seat, and how to get the belt tight, but have a good yank around in all direction - it's you kid, not theirs.

I've got the Maxi Cose and Bebe Confort (with adjustable sides) and both fit in the rear of my 93, though the latter is a tight fit
Looking at the moment guys.... anyone tried the Recaro range? 5 month old..