Notices

Finally got my Legacy B4 - More questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2004, 10:06 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Finally got my Legacy B4 - More questions :)

Got the car Thursday, and this is the first time I've been online since. I seem to have a grin permanantly plastered to my face now.

It's great fun. Took it for a blast down the B4009 from Newbury to Aylesbury and there I encountered my first problem.
I was braking hard on a steep downhill, and when I cam to a stop at the traffic lights at the bottom, it seemed to suck brake dust (or at lteast the smell of it) through the air vents into the cabin. Is there any way to prevent this?

I'm running BP Ultimate + Millers and that seems to be fine (My GF can hear if it's knocking, and reckons it was under load with just Optimax, but it's fine with either once the Millers goes in), so that's good, however the Millers bottles don't seem to close properly and one leaked a little. The bottles generally smell. Does anyone have any decent solutions for storing lots of bottles without stinking out the car?

I've had to get rid of the Japanese double DIN Kenwood radio and the Kenwood TV unit, however the kenwood data bus cable disappears into the wiring loom and does not connect to the main radio, yet it can still take control of the speakers, what's going on here?

I've got my Sony MP3 head unit in there, and a big gaping double DIN sized hole. I've seen single DIN sized storage pockets, but does anyone know where I can get a double DIN sized one?

There's 4 Kenwood GPS receivers, two on the dash and two stuck to the back window. Stripping them out cleanly is going to be a job. Any links to a guide to taking all the trim off, or manuals generally. I'd like all the original kit to be in saleable condition when I'm done

How do I stop the folding mirrors from interfering with radio reception?

It's a tiptronic auto box, so in theory the gear ratios should be selectable in software. Is this true in practice as I would like to lower the ratio of second gear as the second turbo kicks in at ~60MPH, just when you want to stop accelerating if you're trying to legally overtake on the A roads. If it kicked in at 40 or 50 it would be fanstatic.

All the wiring for the missing buttons seems to be in place, so is it possible to retrofit cruise control (which, presumably, is also software controled) and if so, how?

Any help appreciated.
Old 10 October 2004, 09:46 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Tons of questions mate - think u scared them all off!

Reg just the one on the radio - I bought a Kenwood Equaliser to fill in the remaining 1 din hole. It's a bit Max Power with all the flashing lights but it was genuinely useful for tweaking the sound as well as and giving a sub woof out - all levels adjustable from front panel now.

D
Old 10 October 2004, 10:34 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Regarding the spare DIN hole, maybe think about some Defi guages or a SECS data monitor to go there? I'd also suggest a knocklink is probably a good idea too, your girlfriend might be able hear knocking (pinking) but i'd hazard a guess that by the time it's actually audible then it's probably getting to danger levels. A knocklink should help you pick it up earlier.
Old 10 October 2004, 10:47 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Empty the millers in one go and throw away the bottle.
Old 10 October 2004, 05:15 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I do put the whole bottle of millers in in one go, the problem is the other (currently 7) bottles of millers on the floor behind the drivers seat. ATM I've modified a cardboard box so that it keeps them upright, and make sure to tighten the lids after buying the stuff. I can't keep them in the boot as they'll likely go flying on the first corner and explode all over my boot carpet.
I have to keep a large supply in car as I am frequently away from home for weeks at a time

Filling the space with gagues looks good but also expensive so will have to wait a while. I'm not going to be racing it any time soon so I also wonder if there is much point.

A knock link is on my shopping list but I have to find somewhere that will fit the sensor for me as I dont fancy removing the intercooler myself. I intend to hide the thing and extend the LEDs to a different location in a much smaller and less horrible looking box. In the meantime my GF has scarily good hearing and knows far far too much about engines so I should be ok so long as I dont rag it too much

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10 October 2004, 07:14 PM
H7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
It's a tiptronic auto box, so in theory the gear ratios should be selectable in software
No, the gears are still mechanical so you're stuck with the ratios unless you go to the bother of getting new gears manufactured and rebuilding the box.

Originally Posted by Lum
is it possible to retrofit cruise control (which, presumably, is also software controled) and if so, how?
Yes, you can retrofit cruise, but it's not software controlled either. It's a mechanical device that's fitted to the throttle body. Oh, and Subaru cruise control can't be set above 93mph (150kph). Don't know why that should be, but it's not configurable either.
Old 10 October 2004, 10:44 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

The Millers bottles start to leak before you even have opened them!!! I used to buy a box of 8 (or was it 10?) in one go and just keep them in the box. If they leaked a bit it wouldn't be all over the boot. Sorry can't help with the rest...actually I probably didn't help with that prob either.

I hope you have fun with the car...just saw my friend driving my Leggy Turbo today I wanted to cry...I'm driving a bloody 1.6i Rover 200!!!
Old 11 October 2004, 12:48 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaquil
The Millers bottles start to leak before you even have opened them!!! I used to buy a box of 8 (or was it 10?) in one go and just keep them in the box. If they leaked a bit it wouldn't be all over the boot. Sorry can't help with the rest...actually I probably didn't help with that prob either.

I hope you have fun with the car...just saw my friend driving my Leggy Turbo today I wanted to cry...I'm driving a bloody 1.6i Rover 200!!!
I'm not having fun right now, blew the fuse that amongst other things controls the heater, and I was 3 hours away from home, just got in now and noticed some **** has keyed my passenger door.
Need to find the fusebox, help!
Edit: Found it!

And yes I will get millers as a complete box in future, I just didn't have time to mail order some given that I have a long journey ahead

Last edited by Lum; 11 October 2004 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11 October 2004, 01:31 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by H7
Yes, you can retrofit cruise, but it's not software controlled either. It's a mechanical device that's fitted to the throttle body. Oh, and Subaru cruise control can't be set above 93mph (150kph). Don't know why that should be, but it's not configurable either.
So I just need this device, and the switch for the dashboard?

Will the ones from the UK Legacy work?

I'm not worried about the 93mph limit, I mainly want to to avoid accidentially avoid drifting over 78mph on long motorway runs
Old 12 October 2004, 10:04 PM
H7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
Will the ones from the UK Legacy work?
I believe so. I had one on my UK Legacy 4CAM and asked about fitting one to my JDM Legacy RS-B and was told it would be OK. I decided not to fit it though and put the money towards a pair of new Bilsteins
Old 12 October 2004, 10:35 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

This is sounding good, so what exactly do I need to do this?
Firstly, which switch is it? the spare one by the gearstick (next to the hold/power switch for the automatic gearbox) or one of the ones on the dash, if so which?

Is it really as simple as getting one component that bolts on near the throttle cable, plugging it into part of the loom that's already there and connecting a switch on the other end?

How much were you quoted for the parts and labour, out of interest.
Old 16 October 2004, 08:58 AM
H7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
This is sounding good, so what exactly do I need to do this?
Firstly, which switch is it? the spare one by the gearstick (next to the hold/power switch for the automatic gearbox) or one of the ones on the dash, if so which?

Is it really as simple as getting one component that bolts on near the throttle cable, plugging it into part of the loom that's already there and connecting a switch on the other end?

How much were you quoted for the parts and labour, out of interest.
On my RS-B, there was a cubby between the gearstick and the centre glove box. On my 4CAM, this cubby had been replaced by a four-switch panel, one of which was the on/off for the cruise control. I guess, therefore, that the loom for the cruise control is there or thereabouts. I'd guess you're correct in the relative simplicity of the installation. IIRC, I was quoted around £175 fitted but that was a few years ago and, by the time I was given the quote, I'd already decided the Bilsteins needed replacing so didn't pay great attention to the quote - sorry
Old 16 October 2004, 12:24 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. I think this will definately be something to do to the car once I've recovered from the cost of fitting the tracker.

Semi Auto for fun driving on the A roads, and cruise control for the 7 hour long slogs down the M74/M6 at exactly 78mph
Old 16 October 2004, 10:42 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I'm terribly sorry to tell you mate, but they find and cut the GPS wire on a tracker within minutes of nicking it these days..

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings (and walking...)

D
Old 17 October 2004, 12:08 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
I'm terribly sorry to tell you mate, but they find and cut the GPS wire on a tracker within minutes of nicking it these days..

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings (and walking...)

D
Tracker == theft cover is now valid. Therefore good.

Besides mine has two antennae and the most useful one is the most hidden.