What is the cause of

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2004, 02:36 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What is the cause of

Oil in intercooler & associated pipework

I know its relatively normal to have a bit, but what exactly causes it, and apart from fitting a catch can, is there anything else that can be done to reduce it
Old 03 October 2004, 03:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's caused by a couple of things:

Minor leakage past Turbo oil seals. Wear and tear, not much you can do about that.

And -

Oil mist and vapourised oil in the crankcase.....

Seeing that the crankcase breathers run into the inlet tract, and there is always positive pressure in there from blow-by gases and the PCV valve, any oil vapour and mist in there will go into the inlet tract. Devices like oil seperator and windage trays help reduce this (already fitted - although I suppose they could be modified - never seen one on the market though). But you'll always get some oil blowing through, especially as the engine starts to wear and you modify it and run higher boost pressures.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 October 2004 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03 October 2004, 04:45 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Cheers for that Ali

I replaced my intercooler hoses today, and noticed a bit of oil, mostly in the Y piece, and throttle body hose

But recently I had noticed a small amount of oil around the turbo (again on the hose)

When I took the old Samcos off the end that connects to the turbo, was pretty well worn away, and the oil around the turbo will have been leaking from there I imagine

Ive now replaced it with a proper STi metal Y piece, and the fit is a lot lot better, and tighter, so all being well I wont see any more oil deposits on the compressor housing

Engine is MY00 with PPP and done about 48k miles now, and has on occasion had higher boost pressure

I have a new VF24 turbo to go on, once I get the remap funds sorted