Notices

Engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2004, 07:40 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine won't start

Had problem starting the MY97 turbo yesterday. It cranks, i.e. battery is OK, but won't fire up. Did that for about 10 times, no luck. Used the spare car to go to work, and started hunting for a possible fuel pump replacement. Called the workshop, told to listen for fuel pump priming when ignition is switched on. Next day, tried that, heard the buzzing sound and everything is back to normal with first crank of igniton. What could be the problem - flooded engine? Was told that fuel injection engine don't have this sort of problem anymore!
Old 23 September 2004, 09:00 PM
kev 1
Scooby Regular

alright mate ,the exact same thing happend to me last week ,crank over wont fire up ,next day first turn off the key fired up. turns out its the fuel pump gave up the ghost the next day.next time it dosent start ,take the bottom half of the back seat out 2x bolts you see a mulityplug on the right get a test light ,turn ignition on if it lights up your pumps nackerd an excuse to buy an uprated one.ps it also could be a number of other things various sensors will stop it from starting ,hope this helps kev
Old 23 September 2004, 11:03 PM
jamied
Scooby Regular

ive had this happen more than once, and know how frustrated you must be after people asking where is the scoob? and you saying it wont start! I eventually pin pointed the problem to a lose connection in the multiplug that kev1 mentioned under the rear seat, pull it apart close the connections up a little to make a tight fit and plug it back in, never had a problem since!
Originally Posted by lokokkee
Had problem starting the MY97 turbo yesterday. It cranks, i.e. battery is OK, but won't fire up. Did that for about 10 times, no luck. Used the spare car to go to work, and started hunting for a possible fuel pump replacement. Called the workshop, told to listen for fuel pump priming when ignition is switched on. Next day, tried that, heard the buzzing sound and everything is back to normal with first crank of igniton. What could be the problem - flooded engine? Was told that fuel injection engine don't have this sort of problem anymore!
Old 23 September 2004, 11:09 PM
colby
Scooby Regular

i had this problem
starts some days & not other
located problem to crank angle senser at the top of the crank pully
remove it with a 10 mm spanner cleaned the pick up & not had the problen since
Old 25 September 2004, 05:37 AM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, guys. This has not happened before in all my years of Scooby ownership, always fired up with 1 or 2 cranks. With my previous car, the pump gives a warning before it gives up the ghost with a continuous buzzing sound. Just thought that Scooby fuel pump should last longer than an Audi's, which I had to replace on a regular basis.
Old 29 September 2004, 05:52 AM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Angry

Folks, the gremlins have returned. Refused to start again. If it is a knackered fuel pump, will it be a on and off thing or should it just pack up and die? If it is the crank sensor, will have to try the cleaning route. Took out the seat and had a look at the multi-plug. It is tight, couldn't take it apart with just hand pressure. If I can get it going again, will be taking it to the workshop, but just too much of a bother to call a tow truck at the moment.
Old 29 September 2004, 07:06 AM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Talking

Took another look at the multi-socket under the seat. Used a bit of force to unplug it, found a bad connection, so bad that the heat has even partially melted the foam pad covering the socket. Scrapped it clean as a temporary measure and next week will get a replacement fitted. Relief that it is not fuel pump or crank sensor, which is a more expensive proposition than a socket.
Thanks for all the help pointing me in the right direction.
Edited to note that it could have been a potential fire haphzard the way the socket was cooked.

Last edited by lokokkee; 29 September 2004 at 03:05 PM.