Notices

Squeeky front seat

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 01:36 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Squeeky front seat

I was wondering if anybody had found a solution to a squeeky/creaky front seat in an 01 WRX?

The rest of the car is so well screwed together that this becomes annoying when I don't have the stereo on!
Old 03 September 2004, 05:30 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check that its not the seatbelt buckle creaking in the lock,squirting a little bit of oil in it can cure it-my one does this too.

easy
Old 03 September 2004, 06:50 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

MY03-04 cars (from time to time) squeek due to front external lower bolt not bolted tightly, have a look at yours mine do the same...
Old 04 September 2004, 05:52 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the seatbelt buckle but the loose bolt sounds like a posability.

Marc
Old 05 September 2004, 12:18 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Same problem on my MY00, loose bolt, worse still, turns out it's stripped the thread!
Old 05 September 2004, 12:39 AM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

My squeaky seat on my MY97 turned out to be one of the welds had snapped that hold the metal side supports to the metal seat bucket (that holds the cushion you sit on). It sounded like the seat had a squeaky spring, but when I took it apart I found the seat has no springs.

The seat design is basically the same on all models (I have now fitted seat pads from a MY01 STI). Its just a sponge pad on a thin metal sheet for support, the side supports that form the bucket are supported by two metal rods welded to the sheet.

It is suprising how cheap and flimsy the mechanical support is when you have a look at whats under the cushion.

If you have been putting a lot of side pressure on your seat round fast corners it may be the same thing.

I had a m8 spot weld it back together and hey presto.
Old 06 September 2004, 08:55 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
My squeaky seat on my MY97 turned out to be one of the welds had snapped that hold the metal side supports to the metal seat bucket (that holds the cushion you sit on). It sounded like the seat had a squeaky spring, but when I took it apart I found the seat has no springs.

The seat design is basically the same on all models (I have now fitted seat pads from a MY01 STI). Its just a sponge pad on a thin metal sheet for support, the side supports that form the bucket are supported by two metal rods welded to the sheet.

It is suprising how cheap and flimsy the mechanical support is when you have a look at whats under the cushion.

If you have been putting a lot of side pressure on your seat round fast corners it may be the same thing.

I had a m8 spot weld it back together and hey presto.
Oooo, that sounds a bit more serious than tightening a bolt or two. Yes, I might have gone around a corner quite fast once. My car is still under warantee so I should be able to get it fixed for free.

BTW, thanks for Blackadder, I loved it! (Sorry but I couldn't resist!)