Buying Advice needed Please

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2004, 10:47 AM
tdkmillsy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Advice needed Please

Hello

Looking for some advice on buying an impreza.

My scenario is in about 12-18 months time I will be expecting delivery of our first child (just got married ). I have always wanted an impreza and the wife has agreeded I can get one during this period and then look at changing it when kids arrive. The thing is I am not very clued up on the extra mods you can get for the impreza and dont know whether to buy private or trade. My priorities are.

1) A sound blue impreza that will last the 12-18 months without any high costs, dont mind the services needed to keep it sweet just dont want to be paying for a new engine in this time.
2) Low enough mileage so that when I come to sell it, it shouldnt cause a problem. Not sure what is a bad mileage to sell an impreza. I am thinking if I get it less than 60000 miles then selling it with low 70000 should be ok.
3) A good price to get good return when I sell it in 18 months.
4) Good condition car, want the old shape though.

I have done some research both on this site and in autotrader and I believe I have the following options.

1) buy one at 5-6000 either private or from a garrage and run the risk of it being a bit old (n-p reg) and hope it is ok.
2) Buy one around 10k from a garrage. Looks like I can get a T reg blue impreza with around 60k on the clock. Seen one with ppp but worried it been ragged a bit. Seen one without and supposedly a woman owner last.
3) spend less on the same car from a garrage from someone private. Or pay the same money for more car. Either newer car or one with these fancy mods. Buying private from mostly this forum.

My quesitons are.

1) What should I go for
a) Trade Impreza and get the warranty, try and get warranty for 2 years but pay lots for it.
b) Buy a newish (but old shape) plain car from private (either autotrader or forum) with no mods but good mileage.
c) Buy one of these modified cars hopefully of someone who knows what mods to put on it. Usually with lower miles.

secondary questions are

1) If I buy a car with these fancy mods on it, doesnt that run a higher risk of engine failure due to engine working harder. If so how much of a risk is it.
2) Worst case an engine blew up what would it cost to fix.
3) On the whole are they reliable.
4) Am I right in thinking the more things you do to the car the more can go wrong and the more it can cost getting it fixed in a garrage copared to a car with no mods.

I have enquired on some really nice cars but they all have mods on and I am struggeling what to do. Seen a plain one in a local garrage but he wants lots for it.

sorry for all the questions but I have never bought a car like this before.

thank you for any help

Ian

Last edited by tdkmillsy; 10 August 2004 at 10:53 AM.