Notices

Petrol problems i think STI Type UK MY03

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2004, 04:54 PM
STI @ 21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Petrol problems i think STI Type UK MY03

Hey scoobynet mods can you leave it here as i need lots of people to give ideas. Anyway to the prob went to france yesterday with parents in order to stock up on beer etc, anyway tunnel crossing fine, trip round france fine and everything was good until i filled up with french sans plom 98 (Super Unleaded) as far as I can tell. Anyway using up the rest of the UK fuel until i got back on the motorway the other side of the tunnel, and heading up the M20 the dump valve noise started to change to a lighter noise and came in a lot earlier and oftern. Once off the motorway was driving the car as usual, and the boost was picking up around the 2000 rev mark. Anyway put the car to bed thinking European fuel higher octane, more power more boost at lower levels etc. Anyway got up to today went to play golf and even warming the car up driving between 1000 and 2000 revs was getting a dump on the dump valve. Anway to cut a long story short, car is almost de-cat (Centre cat in), Ecutek'd, K+N panel and NGK's. The car is mapped to run on super unleaded UK fuel and i have had no problems at all since i brought the car. Therefore is this problem caused by the french fuel, or could it be something else. Am currently running around with boost go up from under 1500 revs, and the car dropping down and sometimes dying on me whenever i come off the accelerator. Have put in a tub of Octane booster and am wondering if any damage is being done to the car, and if there is anything else I could do to help me get rid of this tank of fuel (Still around 3/4 of a tank left). Should i get it checked once i can get a tank of UK fuel in or will it be fine.

Thanks for any advice. Some people I have talked to reckon its the fuel which in France is rated at a different octane rating and there 98 ron is actually our 96/5 or something like, can someone shed some light on this

Chris
Old 25 July 2004, 05:37 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

run it with a tank of optimax, this will give you a better idea

Stephen
Old 25 July 2004, 05:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to fit a knocklink always recommended if running a tuned car even one with a remap!

Tony
Old 25 July 2004, 05:42 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

Get that shell back in it
Old 25 July 2004, 06:57 PM
STI @ 21
Scooby Regular

Default Knocklinkcoming

Yeah knockling definatley coming at some point, the car has taken a bottle of octane booster but still isn't right. Trying to get the fuel out as fast as poss but it ain't easy driving round like this you wonder what damage you are doing. Anyone know if there might be any probs afer the shell goes back in any advice would be great cheers boys.

Chris
Old 25 July 2004, 08:08 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Not really a very helpful reply,but my UK03 STi PPP runs perfectly on euro 98 fuel and I can't say that I notice any difference at all to the cars performance when I'm back at home and using optimax.

from your post it sounds as tho you have a VTA dump valve,perhaps thats gone the way of the pear and has started to louse things up a bit?...maybe its worth reverting to your std valve for a day and seeing what difference that makes,if any?

Jon