Notices

wheel wobble help

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 07:13 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel wobble help

About 2 weeks ago, my car started with a steering wobble - a small vibration, similar to wheel imbalance, moving the wheel about 5mm each way, at between 50-65 mph.

I took the car into a local garage (near work) to have the wheels balanced - BUT, they said one had a high spot and one was bald.

Anyhow, I managed to track down 4 new TOYOs at demon-tweeks, who fitted them that day.

The tyre that was bald had actually worn a section of about 3/4 of an inch on the tread (inner edge) down, taking 1/4 inch more wear than the rest of the tyre. Demon tweeks suggested that this may have been caused by a slightly deflated tyre, running on the inner edge (camber set for corners) at speed.

I thought that the problem was solved, but it seems to be present still

Two weeks on, its getting quite bad

It doesn't disappear or worsen with braking, I've had the front wheels off (last night) and the disks and calipers, all is clean/tight and nothing appears to be rubbing/catching.

I'd definately describe the steering wheel wobble as an oscillation - Also, it doesn't appear to be vibrating any part of the interior of the car.

I felt the centre of the wheels tonight after a 50 mile journey, all were 'reasonably' warm, but none hotter than the others... Also, no 'extra' noises (e.g. squeals)

I'm going to investigate further over the weekend, but would be grateful for any ideas (including ways to check items - such as wheel bearings/ball joints)

I've not replaced the shockers EVER and the cars done 113000 miles, (?) - Also, I did notice that I can lift the passengers road wheel slightly when the car is jacked up - not sure if this is normal...

Thanks for any advice

Mark (uk 98 Turbo - running on 18s / Godspeed disks / Eibachs)
Old 09 July 2004, 05:40 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

swap your wheels front to back and see if it makes a diffrence

and your shocks are fecked
Old 09 July 2004, 07:19 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

err -OK - Actually, I went back to Demon Tweeks this afternoon - They checked and re-balanced all 4 wheels for free - seems OK now - ....

Micky - is there a test for the shockers ? - And what do you base 'theyre fecked' on ?

I have it serviced every 7.5k / 3 months at TSL and its never been mentioned ....

Ta,

Mark