Notices

Removal of Intake Resonator Box/Arch Lining

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2004, 09:20 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Removal of Intake Resonator Box/Arch Lining

Does anyone have any advice on the removal of the arch lining on the OS front of a UK MY99 Imp Turbo. The bolts and two snap-in rivot things are easily removed, but how do you remove the rivot things which hold the lining to the lip of the arch. They look like they are screws with a cross pattern in the centre of the plastic head but they are NOT screws. I tried prising one off 50% of the way but it does not just pop back in as tight as it was so I presume there is a correct way to do it...?

Any detailed info on how to remove the liner and resonator would be great.

I have followed the usual links to somewhere where someone has detailed how to do it in the states but my setup seems different.

Help....! Thanks.
Old 28 June 2004, 09:34 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

IIRC, (and I just had a look), use a small screwdriver to push the centre part way in. This releases the pressure (they have a cone at the end, which opens the butterfly behind the arch) and they should just pull out -

Can't see a cross pattern in mine though, so maybe yours are slightly diff for some reason..

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 28 June 2004, 10:00 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I had two which worked like that which did NOT have a cross pattern on the head part and that is how I removed them. The cross headed ones appear not to work in the same way, OR they are clogged up.

I have the same types of rivets on each side of the car to I presume they are standard subaru ones for my particular date car.

Last edited by MKC; 28 June 2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 29 June 2004, 01:08 AM
MKC
Scooby Regular

I would still like to hear from people who have removed the resonator airbox silencer on a MY99/00 for reference if anyone's out there. Thanks.
Old 29 June 2004, 08:10 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Mines a 98, so maybe that's why they're different.... (I think theres an 00 on the car park - I'll try and remember to take a look later...)

Mark
Old 29 June 2004, 09:11 AM
Flat Faw
Scooby Regular

MKC

Turn cross pattern plastic "rivet" about half a turn. It will come out of the outer ring by a few mm. Then just pull and waggle it a bit. If its clogged up and won't won't move the few mm, just pull it out with pliers and get some new ones, readily available cheaply from main dealer.

Removed resonator on MY00 and you get no extra power, but with a K&N panel fitted, you can hear the turbo spool up and the std recirc dump valve whoosh a bit more. Which is nice

Martin
Old 29 June 2004, 01:34 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Doesn't the resonator stop water getting into your breather pipes though ?? Just a thought
Old 29 June 2004, 02:53 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Mines been off for 6 months+ and no probs - also, don't forget that an induction kit wouldn't use it anyhow....

Mark
Old 29 June 2004, 09:18 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

as already said the top screw turns qtr turn then comes out bottom fixing is a rivet type just knock centre pin in about 1/2" then it will come out
ken
Old 05 July 2004, 05:08 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Default Intake Resonator now removed

I had three different types of plastic rivot..!

Not sure if this is standard as I have not had the car from new.

They are all so old and tatty that they did not remove very easily
and some were damaged.

The large and small cross head ones had to be prised out a bit (the centre part prised out from the surrounding part of the rivot (not the car body))with a sharp screwdriver. Then whilst holding the centre part out a bit with this sharp screwdriver, used a sharp phillips pushed hard into the centre to unscrew it most of the way.

The small non cross head ones eventually come out when pushed in in the centre by 3mm or so.

Large one on the bumper had slots either side of the centre part, prised out carefully with these to release.

I removed the wing lining and then the resonator box as per the american site instructions found elsewhere with a resonator search. Wheel left on and I did not even jack the car up !! Had to turn the wheel from full left to right a few times and it was hard to slide under the car to see (I am a well built 6ft 1 male and if i can fit under, most other people will...)

Car has a bit more poke from 130 to 145 and feels a bit better elsewhere.
You can JUST hear a bit more turbo spooling (hissing) and a bit more of the standard dump valve but no where near as loud as with an induction kit.
I have a HKS super dragger which tends to drown out most sounds though.

Got to replace the paper subaru filter with a JR before we get too much rain !! May get louder and more performance benefits then.

Thanks for all advice.

MKC
Old 05 July 2004, 05:28 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

If anyone else tries this it may be worth buying a selection of spare plastic rivots of the various types. Have not contacted subaru for prices yet though. I will probably find they only come with a new wing or something daft like that...!
Old 05 July 2004, 06:27 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

its a bugger mate.
removed mine when the FMIC went on.

and the lining still rattles under hard braking
ah well
Old 05 July 2004, 09:20 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

chrome, thats cos yours was cut to bits for the fmic. try drill a couple of holes and use some cable ties.

you can get various replacement rivots from halfords, just have a look for various ones.
Old 05 July 2004, 09:23 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

LOL *looks sheepish*
I did say it was due to fmic

must get around to it.. LOL
Old 06 July 2004, 01:03 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

I have done it to my MY04 and then put it back prompty, I felt as it has lost 10kW. Surely enough I was glad I put it back, the power was again immediate. Of course I miss the sound.

Soooooo. I cut a bit of heat resistant plastic bottle with a funnel type tip and a rectangular shape neck (similar to the neck in the resonator ) and left it in the neck of the resonator. It doesnt sound quite as tough, but the power is immediate and awesome.

And to do THIS mod, no removing wheel arch. Just remove the snorkel (two bolts) and stuff the plastic funnel into the resonator. Allow a hole so that water can still drip into the resonator and not flood your airbox (hence the funnel shape)

BTW the first time I did the wheel arch, it took me about 2 hours to GET to the resonator, to put it back, the whole process took about 30 minutes, complete, without a doubt, the worst part is getting the bottom bolt on the resonator.