Notices

MY03 WRX high in-car temperature

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2004, 11:54 AM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face MY03 WRX high in-car temperature

My WRX had a full decat and a remap not long ago and now that summer has come I couldnt help but notice how hot it tends to get in the cockpit. I think that because of the Scoobysport DP some of the heatshields round the original DP could not be refitted. Could that coupled with the higher boost (hence hotter turbo) be the reason? is there anything I can do to keep it cooler apart from having the aircon on all the time?

help much appreciated

thanx
Old 21 June 2004, 02:10 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

On our old Primera SRI, we had to have the heat shield taken off because it had started to work loose and make an awful racket - the chap from Quickfit said at the time "you will feel it gets warmer inside without the heatshield". Can't say we ever noticed it much but then the car was always prone to trapping the solar heat - and our WR blue bugeye seems to trap the heat quickly too. All I can say as a non-tech bod, is that modern cars seem to have more glass and if the outside paint is dark (say blue/black) this increases the amount of heat absorbed, whereas a white/silver car reflects the rays. We noticed how hot the Primera got inside when compared to the previous car, a silver Triumph Acclaim - which incidently was a cracking little motor, capable of burning off some very surprised boy racers in it's day). It seems to me that maybe larger engined cars generate more heat? Thankfully at least the Scoob has aircon and you don't need to leave the windows open when you are on the motorway etc. On the other hand, when we first got the Scoob in March, my wife was very pleased with the way it soon got nice and toasty on a cold and frosty morning. Seems you can't have it both ways.

Come to think of it, I am sure you can get some foil or zinc type tape on a roll which is designed to be wound around the downpipe which is a cheap and cherrful fix to get round the absence of a heat shield - thus keeping down excess heat around the engine bay - probably a concern more in pre-bug Imprezas where air intake into air filters/induction kits is from inside the engine bay?

I'm sure somebody will tear my ideas to bits - cue greasemonkey et al.
Old 21 June 2004, 03:32 PM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

Yes my car is blue and it does get considerably hotter than the silver Primera P11 GT I previously owned...what a great car btw. But the difference on my WRX between last summer when it was not tuned and now is very obvious. The wrexy gets uncomortably hot now! I have heard of something called lagging where the DP is wrapped in something cloth-like but the very idea that I have to go through the painful process of taking it off again puts me off big time. I presume you cant do it with the pipe in place...