Notices

Stiff steering after removing steering wheel nut ???

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2004, 01:02 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff steering after removing steering wheel nut ???

Hello All

I recently attempted to remove my sterring boss as the plastic surround behind is rubbing against the ign switch cowling making a orrible noise.

I got as far as removing 'removeable strg wheel device' got the 17mm nut holding boos on, removed that and it seems quite easy to get off.. I.E not really tight..but not loose, it has a spring washer and washer behind nut

I couldn't get the boss of the strg coloumn spline , I think i need a puller so put washer/spring w/nut back on and tightened it up very tight.

Went to drive the car and steering was heavy and if I went round corner the steering wheel stayed where it was, wouldn't return to centre..

So i loosed of nut and tightened up not as tight as before, it was better but not fantastic, still a bit stiff. The power steering is working....

I don't feel happy with loosening the nut more as shouldn't it be tight.

I think at very tight it was pulling strg shaft tight hence the stiffness

Has anyone had this before??

Should the nut be just a bit more than finger tight?

I will try and loosen of a bit more but wanted to run it past the crew before I do..

on a My93 WRX BTW

Cheers
Rob
Old 28 May 2004, 07:21 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

The centre nut should be on tight.....sounds like somebody's had all that apart previously, and put it back together wrongly, from your description. If I were you , I'd pull the wheel off, and make sure there's nothing obviously wrong with the way it's assembled......there are usually things behind it that have to be lined up properly, before it's replaced. Sorry, can't be more specific without more info.
Old 28 May 2004, 11:13 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Hmm, I had this on mine , Had to replace my indicator stalk, so the wheel ahd to come off, It was tight coming off could not get a pulley to fit, so persuaded it with a few gentle taps of a hammer whilst pulling. Fitted it back together & the steering was tight, also the gap had decreased between the S wheel & the column gaurd. I ended up fitting a second hand column form Grade A Subaru £45 i think. When i compared the columns my original one was slightly shorter, They have a crush ring inside & this must of compressed. i think a new unit will be your only cure unless you can pull the shaft outwards somehow, Try clamping on a set of mole grips parallel to the shaft & tapping that with a hammer to pull it outwards gently. Column took about an hour to swop out.
Hope this helps

Dean
Old 29 May 2004, 05:29 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
Hmm, I had this on mine , Had to replace my indicator stalk, so the wheel ahd to come off, It was tight coming off could not get a pulley to fit, so persuaded it with a few gentle taps of a hammer whilst pulling. Fitted it back together & the steering was tight, also the gap had decreased between the S wheel & the column gaurd. I ended up fitting a second hand column form Grade A Subaru £45 i think. When i compared the columns my original one was slightly shorter, They have a crush ring inside & this must of compressed. i think a new unit will be your only cure unless you can pull the shaft outwards somehow, Try clamping on a set of mole grips parallel to the shaft & tapping that with a hammer to pull it outwards gently. Column took about an hour to swop out.
Hope this helps

Dean
Sounds like a go, It does feel like something has moved, crushed, distorted etc....

As said the plastic cowling behind wheel has been rubbing on the strg column cover, making a horrible noise.. So maybe the shaft has got shorter at sometime, hence the nut done up loosely...

I will take it off again tommoro

Cheers

Rob