Notices

Why does the steering oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2004, 07:50 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why does the steering oil leak?

I have now changed the steering wheel oil ring on the sump container thing where the steering wheel oil is contained (once before) and now it has began to leak and slowly dribble with a mess around it again. Its a slow process but its creating a slight white smoke while it burns with the heat of the engine.

I have a 95' Jap Import WRX. I have had it now for roughly 2.5 years. The mileage is only 47,000.

What can I do with this once and for all...

Please help.
Old 27 May 2004, 05:42 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Unhappy Leaking Steering Oil... Please please help...

I have now changed the steering wheel oil ring on the sump container thing where the steering wheel oil is contained (once before) and now it has began to leak and slowly dribble with a mess around it again. Its a slow process but its creating a slight white smoke while it burns with the heat of the engine.

I have a 95' Jap Import WRX. I have had it now for roughly 2.5 years. The mileage is only 47,000.

Please help.
Old 27 May 2004, 05:47 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

The reservoir is held on to the pump with two screws inside the reservoir which have a seal embedded in the washer below the screws.
There is also an 'O' ring under the reservoir and it would most likely be this that has perished.
Old 27 May 2004, 05:47 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by adeel.a

Please help.
I think the rubber seal ages / hardens with time / use and then leaks. Mine may be just starting to leak at 78000 miles. Dunno why a second change of seal failed so quickly?

V