Notices

detonation problems

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2004, 09:24 PM
scania dave
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy detonation problems

having had a rebuild around fifteen thou miles ago i thought my engine was sorted having regularly changing the oil and using octane booster,its fitted with a hayward and scott full system,a hks filter and a boost guage running just above normal boost.In order to further look after the lump i had a knock link fitted,i was some what shocked to see under load,say hard acceleration on the motorway just above 6000rpm the dreaded red light on the knock link was showing,as anybody any ideas why i'm getting this problem as it is spoiling my fun and worrying my wallet, i would much appreciate any sound advise,thanx guys.
Old 25 May 2004, 06:48 PM
JOHNSTI
Scooby Regular

could be the knock link i went in an ra once and it red light red light drove me mad you need someone who knows what there doing with some det cans ccs performance are very good
Old 25 May 2004, 09:17 PM
scania dave
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JOHNSTI
could be the knock link i went in an ra once and it red light red light drove me mad you need someone who knows what there doing with some det cans ccs performance are very good
had it fitted at a place with a good reputation,before i took it back just wondered if anybody had had the problem and perhaps was looking for an easy cure,where is ccs by the way,i'm in the manchester area, by the way its on a sti 4.
Old 25 May 2004, 10:49 PM
sharp76
Scooby Regular

Join the boat mate, not had the rebuild but only done 50k, full de cat, panel filter,sti v4 type r, getting knock 6k+....annoying, im on the case too so ill be watching this thread,hoping its back ground noise but need det cans to know for sure but dont know anybody who has.

Good luck M8

Graeme
Old 26 May 2004, 05:52 AM
JOHNSTI
Scooby Regular

www.ccsperformance.com/
Old 26 May 2004, 10:56 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Decat & filter will probably be putting the VE beyond what a JDM can cope with, even with booster, so you'll get knock.
Safest thing to do is to have the car remapped properly for UK fuel. Not cheap, but significantly cheaper in the long run
It might be background noise, of course, and cans are the real way to find out - but I'd be suprised - it takes quite a lot of noise to light the big red!
Old 26 May 2004, 08:08 PM
scania dave
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by nom
Decat & filter will probably be putting the VE beyond what a JDM can cope with, even with booster, so you'll get knock.
Safest thing to do is to have the car remapped properly for UK fuel. Not cheap, but significantly cheaper in the long run
It might be background noise, of course, and cans are the real way to find out - but I'd be suprised - it takes quite a lot of noise to light the big red!
thanx for the advice guys,just bin in touch with a wise owl and he agreed with the remap suggesting BR developments as the best to do it, he said with the goodies fitted the only way to get the extra fuel in at the places where its lacking is a re map,just glad i had the knock link fitted,thanx again.