Notices

APS TMIC vs STI TMIC

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2004, 10:09 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS TMIC vs STI TMIC

Hi,

Am thinking about getting an APS TMIC (the big one) to replace the STI TMIC. (MY02 STI)

Am I right in thinking that the APS unit is bigger than the MRT one ?

My long term plans are to get more power, but not the kind of power that would need a FMIC.

So my questions are:

AS the APS is a bigger unit, I assume that means lower charge temps.

Will the temp difference be noticable between the two units ?

Will the car need remapping immediately after fitting this unit, or will things be fine until I decide to get the mapping done.

Thanks.
Old 24 May 2004, 11:19 AM
CDR
Scooby Newbie

Regards size, I dont think there is much between the APS and the MRT. The MRT one is actually made by Hyperflow here is Aus. You often find you get a better price if you deal direct. www.hyperflow.com.au

A larger top mount shoudl give lkower intake temps. The other gain is higher flow. You generally find the boost you car pulls in the higher rpm range will increase or at least not fall away like it can tend to do with stock tmic's.

I dont think there would be much between the MRT or the APS as far as intake temps go but it should be an improvement over stock. The biggest improvement most find is the increased flow and better top end boost and the ability to support bigger turbos and flows.

Remapping is always prudent but not essential. It shouldn't present and real risk unless the boost levels increased significantly.

If you are still running the std turbo and std boost, you may do well to maxmise the factory unit by installing automatic water spray if it doesnt have it already.
Old 24 May 2004, 01:14 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

CDR,

Thanks for the answer.

I do have the MY03 scoop fitted to my MY02 and have the water spray now automated via my SECS unit.

I've been in touch with the APS UK distributor and they confirmed that everything will be fine with my existing map.