Notices

Eart Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2004, 09:08 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eart Upgrade?

Just a thought, I have a powerful ICE system installed in my00, so i'm thinking of 'upgrading' the earth cables under the bonnet. What's the best way?

I'm thinking of using some 4AWG cable from the earth on the battery straight to the chassis, to back up the crappy ,thin existing cable as i dont think this is good enough, also is it worth running some 4AWG straight to the alternator body. I do have a split charge system wired with a mix of 4 AWG and 0 AWG for earthing points.

Thanks for any advice

Lea
Old 07 May 2004, 09:23 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigRed
Just a thought, I have a powerful ICE system installed in my00, so i'm thinking of 'upgrading' the earth cables under the bonnet. What's the best way?

I'm thinking of using some 4AWG cable from the earth on the battery straight to the chassis, to back up the crappy ,thin existing cable as i dont think this is good enough, also is it worth running some 4AWG straight to the alternator body. I do have a split charge system wired with a mix of 4 AWG and 0 AWG for earthing points.

Thanks for any advice

Lea
Scoobys are known for there poor earthing so it would be a good idea to upgrade this, more so that you have a powerful ICE system as the earth is just as important as the power supply, when i got MY04 wagon i was amazed at how thin the earth wire was so i replaced it with some 4AWG, have not run any other earth leads as yet but do plan on doing so.
Old 07 May 2004, 11:21 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

Big Red, there was a thread in projects on earth mod. basically feed from battery to a distribution block. then feeds from block to chassis, engine, ecu, alternator and suspension towers.
If you fancy a run out sunday to cov meet you can have a look at mine.
ken
Old 08 May 2004, 10:29 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice, i'm busy Sunday so can't make Cov. I'll have a quick search through projects.

Thanks

Lea

EDITED to say- Had a sniff around projects and the 24k Gold one looks nice, farly simple I think,maybe find time to upgrade the earth system in a couple of weeks, busy sorting my hols out at mo.

Last edited by BigRed; 08 May 2004 at 11:12 AM.