Notices

Dump Valve for a 98 Type R

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2004, 11:54 AM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dump Valve for a 98 Type R

Hi guys, want to fit a wooshy wosh dump value to my type R but a bit unsure which one to go for. Was thinking a HKS super sound dump valve or the Super SQV. Anyone got recomendations for one to go for? Thanks in advance!
Old 02 May 2004, 02:47 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrantyBoy
Hi guys, want to fit a wooshy wosh dump value to my type R but a bit unsure which one to go for.
Jeesh, can tell you are one of the younger new owners.

Was thinking a HKS super sound dump valve or the Super SQV. Anyone got recomendations for one to go for? Thanks in advance!
VTA dumpvalves are all as bad as each other as far as the correct running of the engine is concerned, so if you're determined to fit one, to a large extent it doesn't matter which one you fit.

That said, the money you're considering wasting on this trinket could be far better spent on some other bits and pieces that will actually make the car run better/safer, a KnockLink and supply of octane booster chief among them.
Old 02 May 2004, 03:26 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

HKS SSQV sound awesome and have the best build quality. Whether they result in improved performance or dont allow the engine to run as it should do is debateble. I've would never go back to std after having a HKS SSQV. No noise around town but when you open her up
Old 02 May 2004, 03:27 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

As GM says you need to have knocklink and octane booster with a Type R anyway.
Old 02 May 2004, 05:24 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMs advice is sound. The BOV will not add to performance and it is an expensive way to scare old grannies at the bus stop.
Old 02 May 2004, 05:48 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

funny all the same
if you want loud then get the turbo xs rfl had one on my old car, piston type cheaper than hks blitz to

mike
Old 02 May 2004, 06:06 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FASTER MIKE!!
funny all the same
Not really. Never understood the mentality behind buying cars like these only to drive in areas where there are grannies, and bus stops. Far better to go somewhere where there are none of either, and where you can drive the thing properly.

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Whether they result in improved performance or dont allow the engine to run as it should do is debateble.
No, there's no debate about this at all. The use of an externally venting dumpvalve does not in itself improve performance and does impair the optimal running of the engine, as long as a MAF based ECU is used.
Old 02 May 2004, 06:08 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

My one had an hks one fitted when i bought it and it runs fine
Old 02 May 2004, 06:11 PM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

cheers guys. Yeah I'm one of the scoobynet kids so scaring grannies is still quite high up in my things to do list Not to fussed about uping the performance of the car yet as I'm still getting used to all the ponies. Just want a nice dump valve to make the best noise in the world

Heard some good things about the SSQV so was just wanting to double check before I went and parted with my cash. Already got a knocklink from the group buy so this was the next purchase. Where do you guys buy most of your scooby parts from. Do you use TSL and that?? Any other good scooby parts companies I should know about??
Old 02 May 2004, 06:11 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

So you don't actually know what it's supposed to run like then S.B.?

Might be worth reading some of the threads written by folk who've gone back to the standard DV's after running aftermarket products. Might be a bit of an eye-opener.
Old 02 May 2004, 06:13 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
So you don't actually know what it's supposed to run like then S.B.?

Might be worth reading some of the threads written by folk who've gone back to the standard DV's after running aftermarket products. Might be a bit of an eye-opener.
I know you are so superior with all your knowledge to everyone else on here but it runs no different to my old one which had the standard DV on it
Old 02 May 2004, 07:12 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

"The HKS Super Sequential Blowoff Valve (SSQV) is a dual stage pull type relief valve. Unlike other blow off valves that are push type, the SSQV will not leak under high boost conditions nor under vacuum at idle. Being of a pull type valve structure, the SSQV can not physically leak under any level of boost because boost pressure also keeps the valve closed against its seat. The SSQV is actuated by pressure alterations only, not by the rate of pressure or vacuum in the line, which ensures a quick valve response and complete closure during idle. On typical blow-off valve designs, a large valve is utilized in order to accommodate high boost / high horsepower applications. However, these large valves tend to react slowly and require high activation pressure to open, therefore are not able to activate and prevent compressor surge at light-load conditions. On the other hand, smaller, fast reacting valves do not discharge the airflow capacity required for high horsepower applications and tend to creep open and leak as the boost pressure overpowers the spring on these push type valves. For maximum performance, the HKS SSQV incorporates both a small primary valve for ultra quick activation, along with a larger secondary valve for additional discharge capacity. The SSQV is engineered to initially open the small primary valve at light throttle and load conditions, then sequentially opens the secondary valve for additional relief capacity under high boost and load conditions. The SSQV is constructed of polished billet aluminum, which ensures long-term durability and visual appeal."

GM: some 'dump valves' may be inferior and adversly effect the performance and/or running of a car. I have not used any other product so cannot comment. I had a standard dump valve and would not revert back to it. My car runs perfectly BTW

Bob
Old 02 May 2004, 07:56 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob: Not to take issue but to clarify for those that are interested. If the car runs a MAF sensor then it fuels for the air passing the MAF Sensor. If air is dumped to atmosphere the engine is still mapped for the air measured by the MAF Sensor.
Old 02 May 2004, 09:30 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by harvey
Bob: Not to take issue but to clarify for those that are interested. If the car runs a MAF sensor then it fuels for the air passing the MAF Sensor. If air is dumped to atmosphere the engine is still mapped for the air measured by the MAF Sensor.
Accepted which is what makes car over fuel slightly resulting in pops and flames?