Notices

'02 APS TMIC on an STI 5/6?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2004, 02:18 PM
dmross
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '02 APS TMIC on an STI 5/6?

Has anyone fitted the APXWRX-TMI/02 dual entry top mount intercooler to a MY99/00 STI or WRX? I am looking to upgrade the intercooler on my STI 6 and was looking at the APS top and front mount, however it seems like MY02 top mount has a greater cooling area and much lower pressure drop.

It seems like one could shoehorn it into a GC8 with some slight modifications and perhaps an aftermarket bonnet and scoop.
Old 28 April 2004, 06:03 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

I'm about to fit a MY02 WRX i/c to my MY00 classic, which, at the moment, runs an sti5 i/c. Need to get hold of a MY02 standard d/ valve first, as the i/c I bought secondhand came without. Be interesting to see the differences, if any.
Old 28 April 2004, 07:26 PM
dmross
Scooby Regular

I actually have an STI Version 8 intercooler on my Version 6, but it still isn't big enough. I basically want the largest and most efficient top-mount I can find that will fit into a GC8.

APS seems to have high quality products, perhaps someone can recommend a large TMIC that is guaranteed to fit?

I will probably buy the APS and if it doesn't fit, I will simply sell it to my brother for his MY02 WRX.
Old 28 April 2004, 08:14 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

When you say it isn't big enough, do you mean your intake temps are a concern? If so, how? Also , if you need to " dispose " of your sti i/c, you know where to come!!!
Old 28 April 2004, 08:57 PM
dmross
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micared
When you say it isn't big enough, do you mean your intake temps are a concern? If so, how? Also , if you need to " dispose " of your sti i/c, you know where to come!!!

It isn't big enough for the 1.5+ bar I will be running with the new turbo. Heatsoak is also already an issue, which I will hopefully reduce in the near future after coating the downpipe. I am working on reducing my engine bay temperatures as much as possible so I can retain a TMIC.

I have limited availability of parts for the STI 5/6 in the USA, and ordering parts from the UK is very expensive. Most of the front mount kits are very pricey, and don't seem to have the cooling area or the efficiency of the later model TMICs - specifically the MY02+ APS model which is readily available on this side of the pond.

When the time comes to "dispose" of the STI 8 intercooler, it will probably go to my brother, but if you pay for the shipping from the USA, I will consider it!