Notices

HELP - Boost Solenoid Info

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2004, 05:51 PM
Road Rager
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Boost Solenoid Info

Can someone have a look at the pic below and tell me what items 1, 2, and 3 actually do.

and also why the pipe in my hand looks like it belongs somewhere other than flapping about????

Also i assume the pipes for the actuator and turbo outlet are what you remove to plumb a dawes device in???
Old 27 March 2004, 11:56 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Here is a rough description of components labelled.

1 - Is a 3 port boost control solenoid which controls the operation of the actuator (wastegate) to regulate the boost pressure created by the Turbo. The piece of pipe you are holding is the solenoid 'bleed' which normally connects to the lower Black intake resonator which normally is located between the MAF sensor and turbo inlet.
2 - Is the Pressure Exchange Solenoid - Enables ECU to read barometric pressure and manifold pressure from the Map sensor.
3 - Is the Map Sensor which is used by the ECU to measure the Barometric/Inlet Manifold boost pressure.

You are right with regards to the plumbing of a Dawes Device, looking at your setup I would assume it is a Pre96 therefore making it eligable for a scoobyecu

Cheers
Old 28 March 2004, 12:05 AM
Road Rager
Scooby Regular

is the map sensor what does the fuel cut...

if i plumb a dawes device in what happens to the pipe im holding, and what difference if any will there have been from this not being connected
Old 28 March 2004, 12:07 AM
Road Rager
Scooby Regular

and yes its a pre 96 - 93wrx, and yes i WANT a scooby ecu

Just need Pavlo to reply to my PM then hopefully things will be on the up
Old 28 March 2004, 12:54 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

The map sensor does trigger the overboost 'cut' but is determined by a value in the ECU map.
To connect the Dawes Device you need to remove the Turbo Outlet pipe to solenoid and Actuator pipe to solenoid and connect the Dawes Device to the pipes you have removed and of course the correct way round.
The pipe you are holding can then be blanked along with the other 2 pneumatic connectors on the solenoid. The solenoid must either remain electrically connected or have a resistor connected across the terminals otherwise the ECU will throw a CEL light.
It probably wouldn't be advisable to raise the boost on a JDM WRX without the ECU map being changed due to the car being set to run on Jap fuel(100RON) and therefore would be susceptable to DET. A Knocklink would also be a good investment when carrying out performance modifications.
With the pipe not being connected to the resonator a small amount of air will be entering the intake unmetered by the MAF, AFAIK this probably would be insignificant though but better connected. Also the 'bled' air from the boost control solenoid will be venting to atmosphere but this wouldn't impair the boost control.

Cheers
Old 28 March 2004, 01:03 AM
Road Rager
Scooby Regular

thanks for all your help