Notices

classic MY 99/00 TD05'd UK's and classic sti's

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2004, 10:33 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classic MY 99/00 TD05'd UK's and classic sti's

This has probably been done to death by now but I'm going to ask again.

I've slowly been modding my 99 UK Classic to the 270/280 mark with decat and custom remap and I have a FE TD05 currently in a box waiting for me to free up some cash for the Fuel pump and fitting etc. However since this is the last "relatively" cheap mod I can do to my UK car I was wondering how much difference between what i'll have (estimated 320hp) and a decated and mapped classic sti there would be?

I'm particularily concerned about transmission loss, as in would a uk car and a jap sti with 320hp be miles apart still due to the lower transmission loss from the sti's setup?

I mainly ask as i probably wont go any further once i've done the TD05 (yeah we've all heard that before I know), but wondered if I shouldnt just sell up and buy an sti 5 and get a decat and a remap as my insurance is cheaper now i'm 25 and i just want an excuse for a change perhaps
Old 27 March 2004, 10:46 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i'll stop at 320bhp hehee thats what i thought but ive now decided to go for 360ish bhp which is costing a fortune for all the supporting mods

as for your power that depends on all your mods mine is a 99uk and has more torque than an sti8 with PPP

if your worried about the gear box why not just add an RA gearset to your box thats whats in mine and it still has the normal top end speeds, just on motorways the car sits at 3500rpm at 80mph instead of 3000rpm, and the RA's have a stronger gearset in as far as im aware
Old 27 March 2004, 10:52 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

How you getting to 360hp on a uk car?

Perhaps I wasnt clear, I'm more interesting in transmission loss on the UK car, ie would a 320hp sti have substantially more power at the wheels than a 320hp uk car.

On the RA gearset thing, I do a lot of motorway work so an advantage of going to td05 will be that I can cruise at 70mph without being close to boosting like i am at present with the td04, so putting in the RA gearset will just reintroduce that problem.

I'd would be interested to know if you could put other RA stuff on to get reduced transmission losses and DCCD as the uk car (well my one atleast) understeers like my old FWD Fiesta Turbo did!
Old 27 March 2004, 03:06 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by UHF
How you getting to 360hp on a uk car?
Easily - I have been running that on my car (MY97) for about 35000 miles now.

Now she has gone back to standard to sell on as the TypeR project is getting into full swing

Russell
Old 27 March 2004, 04:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driven my car back to back with a car of very similar spec at the time but with an STi gearbox. There was no difference due to the gearbox IMHO. The losses are only lower if they are run in the same numerical gear on a rolling road as the losses are speed related - the STi doesn't reach the same speed.

When tuned both peak on power before 7000 RPM even with an STi engine and big turbo, but the shorter gearing paired with an 8000 RPM limit does give more on road flexibility and helps spooling a bigger turbo.

Edit to say that my car if anything is now slightly slower on a drag with the 6MT rather than 5MT as I am always grabbing the next gear, gearchange on average every two seconds for the first 1/8th mile is a bit manic.
Old 27 March 2004, 06:05 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

So on a 1/4 mile drag you wont see much of a difference between a sti with 320hp and a uk with 320hp??

John, hope you enjoyed your break, turbo arrived safely thanks, its just sitting here gathering dust until I can afford the rest of the bits needed to get it on the car!

Thinking of taking my VTA Blitz DV off too, no performance gains and money towards new fuel pump and regulator.