Notices

What octane booster

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2004, 02:14 PM
real_welshboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What octane booster

Obviously running an import I need to use octane booster. What are you all using? NF sounds the best. How much do you use, and how many fills per tank full? whats the price on this what other stuff is about that wont cost the earth to run on.
Old 25 March 2004, 03:49 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

NF is apparently the best, although I've never used it personally. Millers, although not as potent, is OK. It's also cheaper and easier to come by. It can help to quieten a sparkly knocklink. Your best bet, however, is to get your ECU "teaked" for Optimax/SUL. What MY is your vehiccle...?
Old 25 March 2004, 07:44 PM
real_welshboy
Scooby Regular

its an sti 7 import, how much is it to do the ecu, I dont wanna loose performance though, running on additive will give me the cars full ability wont it?
Old 25 March 2004, 10:01 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I have tried Millers and NF Race Formula in my P1, the Knocklink goes amber with Millers but stays at one green with NF. It is now available from Roger Clark Motorsport for next day delivery.
Old 25 March 2004, 11:49 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Richard Small from Pentland Components has a lot in stock. Very nice chap, and regularly deals with stuff like Knocklink group buys on here. smallrichard@btinternet.com. Doubtless cheaper than Roger Clark, but then, who isn't?
Old 26 March 2004, 06:53 AM
malinen
Scooby Regular

Quote from BP (British Petroleum) FAQ page :

2. How can I boost my octane?

The octane of a fuel can be boosted by adding proportions of a higher octane fuel. Also available is toluene, which can be used as an octane booster in both unleaded and leaded fuels. Generally each 5% addition of toluene will increase the fuel's octane rating by one number. It is not recommended to add more than 30% of toluene to the fuel. Because of the dangers with incorrect mixing, individual motorist are advised against mixing additives with fuels without first consulting their car engine manual or their fuel supplier.

URL: http://www.bp.com.au/products/fuelnews/faq.asp#2

Toluene:

Toluene is a pure hydrocarbon (C7H8). i.e. it contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms. It belongs to a particular category of hydrocarbons called aromatic hydrocarbons. Complete combustion of toluene yields CO2 and H2O. This fact ensures that the entire emission control system such as the catalyst and oxygen sensor of your car is unaffected. There are no metallic compounds (lead, magnesium etc), no nitro compounds and no oxygen atoms in toluene. It is made up of exactly the same ingredients as ordinary gasoline. In fact it is one of the main ingredients of gasoline.

MRT Rally's Training WRX will warn WRX owners to avoid using other products than Toluene, because they usually will **ck up the O2 sensors

Last edited by malinen; 26 March 2004 at 06:59 AM.
Old 26 March 2004, 04:21 PM
Nick200
Scooby Regular

Where can you get hold of toulene?
Old 26 March 2004, 04:45 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick200
Where can you get hold of toulene?
Email jenny@jennychem.com
Old 26 March 2004, 06:42 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Use NF Race Formula, excellent stuff

Nick200 - I have a supplier that sells Toluene, give me a mail & I'll forward details (evil stuff though )
Old 26 March 2004, 09:10 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

NF is great but a pain in the **** to measure out. As is Silkolene and Aldon. You can buy NF is single dose shots but it works out quite expensive IIRC.

Millers very easy to use as one bottle / tank. I you have NO cats whatsoever you can use Millers CVL which is apparently better.
Old 26 March 2004, 10:03 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jlanng
Richard Small from Pentland Components has a lot in stock. Very nice chap, and regularly deals with stuff like Knocklink group buys on here. smallrichard@btinternet.com. Doubtless cheaper than Roger Clark, but then, who isn't?

I just sent Richard an email. Got it sent straight back saying its incorrect! Does anyone know what it is please. Want some N/F so so much!!

Thanks
Old 26 March 2004, 11:15 PM
dualtech
Scooby Regular

Richards e-mail for NF is

richard@pentlandcomponents.com
Old 27 March 2004, 08:35 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Hi Johnny,

Got your mail and have replied

Incidentally, my e-mail address is richard@pentlandcomponents.com (thanks duatech ) which forwards on to my ISP e-mail address smallrichard@btconnect.com

Please note, this is a btconnect address not a btinternet address, therefore smallrichard@btinternet.com will not reach me.

Many thanks,

Rich