Notices

How do Lighting Pods actaully FIT?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2004, 10:04 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question How do Lighting Pods actaully FIT?

Anyone have one, or know the answers to a few questions?

Are they heavy/made of Fibreglass/plastic?
Obviously, I'll need to drill my bonnet, but how many holes?
What fixings are used? Are they permanently attached, ie:bolts, or temporary, ie: springs and "R" clips underneath?
Is there a lot of difference between pods, other than the lights they can carry?

I'm already aware that Scoobs need two pods in order to clear the scoop, but thanks to anyone who reponds.

Alcazar
Old 20 March 2004, 08:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

BTTT............so no-one knows then?:

Alcazar
Old 21 March 2004, 05:39 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do need to drill your bonnet and you can fix them either by bolts or by quick release fittings. On my mates rally car there are 5 per side. Beware when you buy, view them if you can before buying. The ones we got required major work to get them to fit the bonnet and now only match by use of foam draught excluder type tape under them.
Old 21 March 2004, 07:55 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Anyone have one, or know the answers to a few questions?
Yes, and possibly...

Are they heavy/made of Fibreglass/plastic?
The pods themselves are either carbon fibre or fibreglass and are themselves pretty light, but add two/four big lamps and they start to weigh a bit. They need to be firm on the bonnet as well; if they can wobble, the beams will also wobble, which is very offputting if you're trying to drive quickly on them.

Obviously, I'll need to drill my bonnet, but how many holes?
You'll need to drill your bonnet and ideally have the nuts or similar threaded inserts welded in with some gusseting to spread the load. If you're talking about twin bonnet pods, two fixtures at the back and two near the front should do provided the pod is properly designed.

What fixings are used? Are they permanently attached, ie:bolts, or temporary, ie: springs and "R" clips underneath?
Normally bolts into captive threaded inserts on bonnet pods as mentioned above, while the pod is often designed in a way that it will clip under the front of the bonnet.
Sometimes you'll also find support ties between the pod and the bumper to add a bit more strength and prevent the beams flapping. If you're fitting a set, you'll have to be prepared to add strength if necessary.

Is there a lot of difference between pods, other than the lights they can carry?
Are you talking about Impreza here, or in general? In the former case, sure, there's a difference between the ones Prodrive sell, and some of the third party items, both in terms of overall design as well as quality/execution.

I'm already aware that Scoobs need two pods in order to clear the scoop
Unless you've got an FMIC, yes. The big scoop on the N9 and N10 seems to work well enough that the official Prodrive/PIAA pod is a one-piece item, but on the other cars, you'll need to keep the airflow into the scoop sacrosanct.