Notices

HELP EXHAUST QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2004, 10:51 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP EXHAUST QUESTION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the proccess of changing a split up-pipe on a 93 wrx . I have removed intercooler and removed down pipe have tried to undo the five 14mm nuts , 3 have come off but 2 have rounded and can't remove them for the life of me , I have removed all pipes to turbo ,oil and water ,undone the two turbo brackets and other boost lines, can i lift the turbo off with the up-pipe still attached if i undo it from the headers . Will it come clear of car or does the up-pipe have to be removed downwards .Any help much appriatiated . Can i re-use any of the gaskets or should i replace all i am also going to port headers while everything is off the car .Also when re connecting turbo does oil line need to be primed ? I have booked tommorrow off work to help speed things along .

Many thanks

Mark
Old 18 March 2004, 07:46 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Anyone please ?

Mark
Old 18 March 2004, 10:12 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Its been some time since I removed mine but here goes.
You should be able to pull the turbo off with the up-pipe still attached, but i think you will need to undo the nuts from the lower engine mounts (2off) this should help you to move the engine (tilt forward or lift up) cant remember which way? To get some clearance for the up-pipe to be released.
I had the same problem with one of the turbo/up pipe nuts, so I removed the turbo still attached to the up-pipe.
I had to use blow torch (gas weld) to heat up the seized nut & then it removed easily. (turbo/up-pipe held in vice)
My new up pipe did not come with studs, paid over £7 each for 3 studs from subaru & got the others free from halfords. So I replaced the turbo stud as well. I used new gasket all around.
turbo/downpipe
turbo/up-pipe
up-pipe/headers