Notices

Up or Down

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2004, 08:33 PM
LeeG
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Up or Down

To be honest i aint really mechanically minded,so i decided to ask my local performance car garage who should have an idea of where the up pipe joins onto and where the down pipe joins on,just so i know whats going where, and really i dont think they had a clue, i walked out bambousled.They told me that they were the same thing . Is it ?

When looking at scoobyworld they advertise an up pipe and a down pipe.What goes where,is there a differance ? so can anyone help in sorting out this daft question so i can get on with doing a mods to my 01uk300

Is this a straight forward job for any mechanic to do this job or should it be left to someone with a knowledge of subarus do it.

Any advise would be great....
Old 20 February 2004, 10:32 PM
JohnRoly
Scooby Regular

Not particularly mechanically minded myself, but i can tell you that the downpipe is the pipe that goes from your engine to the exhaust (first part of exhaust effectively)!!
Old 20 February 2004, 11:18 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

The uppipe starts from the headers (under the engine), and works 'up' to the turbo where it feeds the turbo. Exhaust gasses then pass through the turbo and out into the 'down pipe' where the work they way down the back of the engine to join the remaining 2 parts of the exhuast system, the centre section and then the back box.

On UK MY01 cars they actually have 3 catalitic converters. One in the uppipe, which does a good job a strangling the life out of the exhuast gasses on their way up to the turbo, then another in the down pipe, this has been added to ensure that if gasses do get to the turbo and at any reasonable speed then they're gonna have to have a damm good job trying to get out again.

I think the cat in the centre pipe really was just added for cosmetic purposes, cos i really don't believe that adding any more cats can hamer the performance of the car any further.