Notices

FITMENT OF LASER/RADER S6R NEO

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2004, 09:33 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FITMENT OF LASER/RADER S6R NEO

Has anyone managed to fit the radar/laser detector under the bonnet of their scooby,MY02 doesn't seem to have any space for the bracket and placement looks difficult.anyone help,
thanks in advance,mac.
Old 18 February 2004, 11:14 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I fitted mine above the rear view mirror using the windscreen suckers. By resting the back of it on the mirror itself, you can angle the RLD to exactly how you want it (ie slightly lower than permissible by simply bending the bracket)...

Last edited by The_Judge; 18 February 2004 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Yeah, 'cos there is such a thing as a "read view mirror"... no really...
Old 18 February 2004, 01:37 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

I put the GPS sensor on the parcel shelf, took the wire down by the rear seats (hiding it under the plastic bit) then under the drivers seat, put the radar detector in the windscreen as i couldnt see a good place under the bonnet either. I place the control unit where the ashtray is and run the wires to it there. You can hide the wires well if you follow the grooves already in the dashboard, i hid the excess wires down in the foot well behind the center console.

Would be interested to put under the bonnet if anyone knows a way without too much DIY.

The snooper has now saved me 9 points

Last edited by ARM-Scooby; 18 February 2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old 18 February 2004, 02:09 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

ARM-Scooby,

How long have you had it? How many times have you seen the * appear...?
Old 18 February 2004, 02:30 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

i have had the snooper since the beginning of jan.

What do you mean by *?
Old 18 February 2004, 02:37 PM
STIdreamer
Scooby Regular

Fitted mine to MY53 STi. GPS on back shelf as suggested. Laser/Radar under number plate. Just reversed the mounting bracket and attatched to the rear of the numberplate so that sensor mounts directly under plate. Theirs a blank grommet above the steering column to route through and a spare fuse thats switched live labelled rear screen wiper from memory, check your manual. That osaid not that impressed with this unit. It falses laser when the sun is at the right (wrong?) angle and picks up all the S#1t radar around. Even with "smart mute" etc I am not sure the laser/radar is worth having, I bought that bit for mobile Gatso.
Paul.

PS the * means its detected Radar when already picking up GPS for a Gatso, ie the camera is live, but would you slow down even without the *.I know I would!

Last edited by STIdreamer; 18 February 2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 18 February 2004, 02:45 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

ah i see, 3 times but over 2 journeys. Along the M45/ M5 on saturday it did it twice.

Somewhere else too but i forget where!
Old 18 February 2004, 03:03 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

You certainly need to be brave to trust it with your licence...! The reason for the question is I've had mine since April 2003, and I've seen the * a total of, wait for it...

Twice.

So that either means, in nearly 1 year of ownership, either...

A. I've only ever driven past 2 live Gatsos.

or...

B. It doesn't detect K-band radar as effectively as it claims.

My money's on B. Also, what about red light jumping Gatsos? Surely it should pick up K-band off those, assuming you actually stop instead of dropping it down to 2nd and flooring it... But it only does occasionally.

And even if a camera has run out of film, would they remotely turn it off until they'd got round to re-stocking it...? If not, the RLD should detect K-band off those as well.

There are 5 Gatsos on an A-road near me, all with painted lines, none of which the GPS warns me of, and no K-band detected from any of them. Does that mean they're all empty shells?

I know the statistic "only 1 in 15 are ever live at any one time", but do you believe that? Certainly ain't gonna be testing out the theory, that's for sure...

I only occasionally pick up K-band from automatic doors, and also pedestrian crossings/variable radar controlled traffic lights at busy junctions. I've had several laser alerts, but never seen a copper with a lidar gun to prove whether or not it was a false alarm.

So all in all, it's an OK unit. If all the points above could be proven one way or the other, then at least you'd know where you stood. And as for whether it was worth the £429.95...? Jury's still out...
Old 18 February 2004, 04:21 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

I must admit that i have been happy so far, a little annoyed when it goes off at a petrol station, but i had another snooper b4 so think this one doesnt go off as much.

I tend to do most of my high speeds on B roads, the reason for a subaru and not a boxter s etc. There arent many speed cameras out there so if it goes off then its normally for a real reason. In towns/ motorways etc. it does go off for nothing but that tends to keep me in check, one eye on the speedo and so never really speeding.

It does work with a hand held gun pointed at you too, avioded one on the way to santa pod 3 weeks ago and a mate avoided a fed in a T5 on saturday.
Old 18 February 2004, 05:27 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Just wait for the brown trouser moments when you get a 'surveyor' laser leveling (2 times to me)

Simon
Old 19 February 2004, 10:51 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

cheers guys,don't know about fitting it under the No plate,someone would probably nick it.thats also where i plan to put my diffuser when i get it.the rearview mirror is a good option though ,might give that a bash.got my main unit on the dash just to the right of the clock attatched by velcro from halfords(can't beleive i addmitted to going there).it has saved me twice now.but i am sick of the false k band alarms.is their anyway to stop this??.mac
Old 19 February 2004, 12:33 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

What is the left most button currently set to?

"All"
"Mway"
"City"

If it's currently set to "All", try "City"
Old 19 February 2004, 01:03 PM
Steve PPP
Scooby Regular

Angry

Where have everyone fitted their display unit?

I gave up on mine when I couldn't read it. Tried on the dash to right of instrument binnacle; and in front of clock (Sti7).

Mine beeps at K-band nearly all the time, its very annoying. It picked up laser going down my Father's drive in the middle of nowhere! So a lot of false readings, makes you distrust it/ignore it.

My RLD is fitted upside down stuck next to the side of the numberplate, my GPS is fitted under the plastic cover with the clock in, it works fine through the plastic.

I find the way the wires connect to the display unit makes it very difficult to do a neat installation, if they were all on the same side it would help.

So, all in all not a brilliant unit. I have currently removed it, but might try another stab at it if anyone has found a good working location for the display.

Steve
Old 19 February 2004, 01:28 PM
STIdreamer
Scooby Regular

Mines at the base of the A post corner of screen/dash. It's very neat I'd have to say but agree it would be better if it had all the leads one side and stopped K Band falsing/Laser when the suns low!
Old 19 February 2004, 07:58 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I live in Scotland so the suns not to much of a problem lol.
Old 20 February 2004, 12:34 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

The only time I can ever see my display properly is when the sun's shining on it... and fortunately, I don't live in Scotland...!