Notices

MOT emissions - technical help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2004, 07:58 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend of mine is currently running a link ECU but he is having problems passing the emissions on the MOT, with the help of Bob they managed to get the Co2 level down to 5.3% so only 5% to get off still. The next cause of action is to go back the the standard ECU and try that, the trouble is that with 550cc injectors in the block and only 25% fuel compensation on the standard ECU it will be running very rich so to replicate the 440's what fuel pressure does he need to run to make it as if it was normal levels. Currently it is at 3.2 bar at idle what formula is needed to calculate the fuel pressure when the OEM ECU is back in?

Any help appreciated.

Old 14 January 2004, 11:16 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in exactly the same situation and await anyones response with interest..

Getting the car mapped later this month in the hope that it might be sorted by someone that knows what they are doing rather than the mapping I have learnt in the last couple of months.. lol..

If that fails then I face refitting standard ecu and maybe standard injectors.. just to pass an mot.. seems a bit much.

JGM
Old 14 January 2004, 12:29 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but surely, by simply lowering the fuel pressure is only going to give a "weaker spray pattern" if not too large a fuel droplets in the system, maybe even causing further running faults.
What this sounds like to me is it need a programme which shortens the time length the injectors "pulse" for, thus weakening the air/fuel mix, plus the fuel is still being atomised at the correct pressure to maintain a full fuel burn and not creating higher readings in other forms.
Old 14 January 2004, 03:43 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will give it a try on Friday if I get time..

I'll refit standard ecu and turn pressure down until afr looks about right..

Hopefully for idle and mot only the droplet problem shouldn't occur.. fingers crossed.. pain in the bum to change injectors as well..

JGM