Notices

Flat spot...???

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2004, 08:49 AM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased a bug eye some months ago. About a month ago i put on a scooby sport back box and centre pipe (for rear cat removal). But when driving last night back home seem to have a flat spot post 4000rpm till about 4500rpm and then takes off again. Does if sound like a MAF problem? Or should i get it remapped to try and romove this unwanted feature.
Many Thanks

Peter
Old 08 January 2004, 01:04 PM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

come on somebody must know...please
Old 08 January 2004, 01:50 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I have exactly the same problem. Flat spot starts at 4250 and continues up to nearly 5000rpm and the car judders from about 4600 up to 5000rpm. The first time it happened was just after its 10,000 service so i took it back it but it stopped doing it. It was OK up untill after its 20,000 service and then started happening again. I booked it in (had to wait 2 weeks) and it was slowly getting worse and worse so i started driving ing very sensibly (not going above 4000rpm). On the way home from work i got caught out needing petrol and had to put standard unleaded in. By the time i had got home (30 miles of motorway cruising) it was running fine. The next day it drove to and from work fine and i needed some more fuel, so i filled up with the usual optimax and cancelled the visit to garage as it wasn't worth taking it in if it wasn't doing it. Everything seemed fine for a couple of days and then the probablem started to come back, gradually getting worse again. Since then i have been messing around using standard unleaded and optimax to try and find out what causes it.

I have found that if i run it on a tabk of standard unleaded the car runs fine within a few miles, and feels a lot quicker. I then fill up with optimax and it runs fine for a while. What seems to set it off when using optimax is a motorway cruise. Over xmas i used a tank of optimax just blasting around and had no problem, but the first day back at work (motorway cruising) the problem came back.

The only slight modification i had when it first happened was an STI 7 backbox. I now have an air filter and Group N BB, but this has made no difference.

What do you run yours on?? And have you any other mods??

The dealer told me that some Legacys suffered from something similiar and the ECU had to be reset. You can't do this on a Bugeye, but the ecu is automatically reset every few miles depending on you driving style. The dealer told me to drive along for a sort distance with very high revs to reset it, but it didn't work. I'm wondering if my ecu will not reset/remap according to the driving style, and will only do it if different octane fuel is used.

I may book it in again this week.

sorry for the long post
Old 08 January 2004, 01:54 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

I use 15 quid optimax and 15 quid BP super alternately, as the optimax gives me a flat spot, and the BP super leaves my exhaust blacker than normal. Using the two alternately means I don't get the flat spot anymore.
Old 08 January 2004, 05:04 PM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

cheers for the post, I have been running the car on optimax for the last 3 tanks...will take the car out tonight and see if it does it again.
Old 08 January 2004, 08:19 PM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

I have taken the car out again... and she still does it.
The car has no mods except the back box and centre pipe, what i want to know is will a remap cure this blessed problem.
Cheers
Old 08 January 2004, 10:30 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Peter,
Im sure that the remap would sort this out but I have a MY02 with BB and decat Centre and have no flat spots at all and its always had optimax from new.
(only problem is I cant drive it till the new wheel bearing and turbo is installed)

Daz.