Notices

About to buy a Jap Type R STi, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2003, 09:37 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Ok, I'm sorry to hark on about this car, but I'm about to part with a large amount of money (that I really cannot afford ) for this and I really really want to make sure that I'm not making a mistake.

I have done searches on most of these questions but views seem to be differing and confusing, so I thought that answer to my question by owners of the same car may help.

Oh and there will be biscuits on offer to all that participate

Firtsly here's the deal;

I've found a (MY99) T plate Type R STi 5 recently imported from the land of the slanty eye, with about 60,000 kilometres on the clock (which is about 37,000 of our english miles). The asking price is 15k which seems to be what most people (trade) are asking. He's giving me 10k trade in on my MY00 (X Plate) wagon with 30k on the clock. Which is slightly less than I'd expect privately, but not too awful otherwise, and with a lot less hassle.

Now the questions;

1. Your thoughts on this? Ok? Worth it? Today I test drove it and all I can say is OMFG My current car now feels very slow

2. Fueling, I have problems with this, I'm on the IOW. We have no Shell stations, and a whole 1 station that shifts SUL. So the best I'm gonna get is SUL and an octane booster. But there are obviously going to be occasions when I'm not going be able to get SUL. If, on these occasions, I fill with unleaded and OB, I don't rag it and respect the knock link (which is gonna be one of the first things I fit) is it going to be ok? And just how bad will it be for knock in this situation? Meaning is it gonna "be drive it totally off boost" or "drive it but be careful and respectful of knock link"?

3. If these things are desgined to run 100RON, and I'm gonna be putting 97RON + OB in, does this have any effect come MOT time? Or is there nothing to worry about on this side?

4. I understand I can have it remapped to 97 or 98 RON to make it safer.
a) Is the performance loss going to be big?
b) How much and from where?

5. Servicing and parts, from this point of view can they be treated like any other UK Scoob, or are parts specific and expensive?

I am very keen on this car and would really like to make it work, so your input is very very much appreciated.

Oh, and the biscuits;

Mmmmm, yummy
Old 23 December 2003, 09:51 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

You could do what I did with my STI 5 Type R.
Run it on SUL + booster or bare Optimax.(Ran fine)
No knocklink.
And just enjoy it for a year until MAF go's faulty.
And your car blows up! (EEK!).
Then spend lots of money,trying to get it right.
Or you can buy it straight off and spend lots of time on Scoobynet. Spending money whilst trying to find out how to get it right.
ALL IMHO.

Welcome aboard.

Steve.
Old 23 December 2003, 09:58 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

And just enjoy it for a year until MAF go's faulty.
And your car blows up! (EEK!).
Yeah fanx for that

I've read enough "horror stories" on here to know that there is no way on earth I am running that thing without a knock sensor!!!

BTW, did you cry? I think I wouldn't stop crying for a year at best
Old 23 December 2003, 10:22 PM
Sonic Blue Type R
Scooby Regular

1st of all £15k seems a bit on the expensive side, maybe if it's sonic blue and a V-ltd, it may be worth that sort of cash!

Next thing to think about is a re-map, especially if you may only be putting normal unleaded (95 Ron) - this could cause damage to the engine, or more likely WILL!

Getting a re-map for 97-98 Ron will not reduce the performance greatly, you need to keep the running of the car safe. No point in worrying about a slight reduction in BHP. At least you will have the engine in tact

If you can run it on 97 Ron + Octane booster that will be okay, although 98 Ron is all that goes in mine - no less!!

Avoid the 95 Ron, not worth the hastle!!

The only thing that may affect the M.O.T is if has a full de-cat, the fueling won't affect it.

Parts wise, the P1 shares a lot of the same parts, e.g. engine internals etc...

They are very nice cars and I think you should buy it, £14k sounds a bit more like it!

Cheers SBTR
Old 23 December 2003, 10:38 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

I kinda agree on the price side, however, in my infinite wisdom I bought a Wagon, t'is wot I thought i wanted at the time And I think that I'm gonna struggle to shift her for what I want, probably £11,500.

Though I reckon I'm gonna fall on the floor when I see what this guys sells me Scoob on for after the px, my money's on getting close to the £13k mark

I initially spoke to a Subaru main dealer about changing my car for almost exactly the same spec car, same miles, same age etc, on their forecourt but in a 4 door, I didn't get an exact price but I reckon they were looking in the region of 4 grand Is it me or are they all crazy????
Old 23 December 2003, 11:47 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think in your situation. A remap for UK fuel.

Plus Knocklink @£140 from BRD. and boost guage £75-£150 would be a mustdo.
Then go out and enjoy the best looking Scoob in manys opinion.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 24 December 2003, 12:08 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
remapping for UK fuel wont lose you any power, in fact you will gain a little. I can recomend BRD (Bob Rawle) to remap this, he did a great job on mine. http://www.brdevelopments.com

MOT, remap has no effect there as the remap will only change the parts of the map not tested on the MOT.

Buy a knocklink and lambda link if you can, until its remapped use SUL and an OB or drive it off boost.

Old 24 December 2003, 12:25 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

sum sensible advice which you wont listen to

if you really cant afford the car in the 1st place, your gonna be shafted bigstyle when it goes wrong