Notices

MAFs, O2s, ICVs - cleaning/replace FAQ needed?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2003, 04:53 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

With all the talk of dodgy MAF sensors and iffy O2 sensors and dirty old ICVs I think we should have some sort of FAQ on how to replace and or clean.

Granted the O2 and MAF should just be replaced but we should have a FAQ on how to replace, what part no.s are required and where is the best place to get them.

the ICV can be cleaned which should help the life of the engine. But how do you remove it and how should it be cleaned? What other oil or breather pipes get clogged up and need cleaning before damage is done?

Are all these things checked and cleaned by Subaru when the cars are serviced? My car had the 45K service just before I bought but I can't see that any of these small but potentially damaging items were checked to be OK/serviceable.

I think those of us who have "The Knowledge" with regard to these things should create a sticky into which this FAQ should go.

It could be like our own mini servicing schedule to ensure everything is as it should be and that we all get max benefit out of our cars with the mods we buy rather than buying all the mods first and then realising the cars gone POP due to some minor oversight.

Seems like a good idea to me. I'd much rather fork out for re-maps and upgrade goodies secure in the knowledge I'd done everything I could to look after my pride and joy.
Old 18 December 2003, 09:19 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
So nobody thinks might be a good idea then?

This should go in hand with the suggestion made by "babber" to see if some kind of group buy can be arranged for MAFs and 02 sensors.
Old 18 December 2003, 11:00 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its a bloody good idea. Every other post is related to idle problems etc...

MB
Old 18 December 2003, 02:00 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having just gone through this problem area with my MY99 (bought a month ago), i agree its a great idea and would help a lot of people out.