Notices

Leaking oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2003, 08:26 AM
Tim555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I did a service in the summer and fitted a fram filter no problems but with the wet weather i noticed drip size patches of oil as reversed up the drive, i wiped the filter off ran the car for about 2 mins and a drip appeared so ive changed it to a champion filter, it had a drip on it after bring run but this may of been left over oil from fitting.

Has any1 else had this problem.
My car is a MY94 UK Turbo Impreza
Thx
Tim

[Edited by Tim555 - 12/9/2003 8:27:56 AM]
Old 09 December 2003, 09:14 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

You can sometimes get this when using non genuine parts. I wont say "always" as this is not true,but never had a problem with gen parts.
Old 09 December 2003, 09:16 AM
Steve_H
Scooby Regular

Oil cooler gasket on it's way out ?? happened on my '94 Turbo....

Steve
Old 09 December 2003, 01:12 PM
Italian Jobber
Scooby Regular

Tim, One good thing with Fram filters is every one is warranted. Basically if the filter is damaged in any way and causes you grief they pay your costs.
They do pay up in genuine cases as I used to work there. Just send the filter back to their site in S.Wales with a covering letter detailing your costs for their attention (driveway cleaning bill, engine clean etc,etc).
Hope this helps.
Old 09 December 2003, 07:01 PM
206CC
Scooby Regular

Fit a OE Subaru one.. It won't leak then
Old 09 December 2003, 07:18 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Fit an OE one and it won't leak - what tosh. As long as you buy a reputable filter it won't leak. FRAM are one of the biggest manufacturers of oil filters in the world - they don't make rubbish. Just because Subaru haven't stamped their name on it doesn't make it inferior quality. I use subaru filters if I can get them but in the past have used FRAM and even Halfords
If it's a reputable filter fitted properly it won't leak...
Old 09 December 2003, 08:18 PM
Italian Jobber
Scooby Regular

For the record..Fram manufacture oil filters for most OE car manufactures (Ford, LandRover, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Rover Group as well as the full Halfords range and most other spares brands). They generally tend to be at least and mostly better in performance to the Japanese ones (normally manufactured by NKK). So the Subaru logo on the outside counts for little on this occasion.
Fram do even go to the trouble of purchasing the Japanese filters from NKK, shipping them to the UK and re-painting them with their own logotype so there should be no difference whatsoever .... apart from the price!!!
Old 10 December 2003, 12:37 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
the genuine filters have bypass valves in them set at a specific presure, i wouldnt use anything but genuine on this particular component myself.
Old 10 December 2003, 08:08 AM
Italian Jobber
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

for info... the Fram filters also have these by-pass valves (cold start pressure relief valves to be exact) and work in exactly the same way to the Subaru ones.
As soon as my car is out of warranty I would have no problems fitting a Fram manufactured filter to my vehicle.
I think Fram are the only manufacturer to offer a guarantee against engine damage/failure due to a defective component (this counts for a lot if your car is out of warranty), and as I said earlier the only difference normally is the exterior paint colour.
Hope this helps.
Old 10 December 2003, 10:41 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Due to the way Scoob engines seem to throw big ends (As unfortunatly John knows) and rather too often after an oil change.. I don't think it is worth using anything other than a Subaru filter.. one of the only two items I do stick to Subaru for that are available elsewhere.. the other being the cambelt..

If you have a leak in the filter area might be front crank seal with goes about 100k miles or 6-8years old.. should be changed with second cambelt to avoid the problem.

JGM
Old 10 December 2003, 07:04 PM
Tim555
Scooby Regular

Hi all

I got a new filter gave it a good wipe off yesterday no drips have appaered so im thinking it was the filter i got a champion filter from Halfords cos the O'ring looked alot bigger than the the fram or the halfords own. The Fram and Halfords own looked almost the same i think the problem with the Fram was the O'ring is to small and if the rubber goes hard (as in my case) theres not enough pressure left in the rubber to seal.

Ive used Fram filters for yrs in all my cars so i have no problem the filters except in this case of course, Ive never been a fan of champion parts so im hoping the filter will last up ok.

Thx for all the replys :¬D
Tim
Old 10 December 2003, 07:19 PM
Italian Jobber
Scooby Regular

Tim, Did you keep the Fram filter?
If so just send it back to them, they will give you a detailed test report on what is wrong with it and honour any Receipted expenses you have.
fyi. the Fram unit and the Halfords unit are identical (apart from the paint). If your Fram filter was Black & had a P shaped gasket verses a square design then the unit has been sourced from Japan and is probably identical to the Subaru unit apart from the paint.
Hope this helps anyone who's interested.
Old 13 December 2003, 07:33 AM
Tim555
Scooby Regular

Hi

No Italian Jobber i bined the fram filter, but thats good to know fram will cover the your costs.

Thx

Tim