Notices

Centre section=Remap MY01

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2003, 09:00 PM
madenglishman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a MY01 with PPP and afterburner BB and want to get the centre section changed but have been advised that it will need an expensive remap.As I have just shelled out on PPP there is no way on this earth that I can persuade my good lady that this is essential!!!!

My pc is not letting me search so just thought i'd ask any advice would be a huge help.

Dan
Old 18 November 2003, 10:29 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dan

An MY01 PPP should have a decat centre section already. However the centre section is in two pieces and the resonator will still be in place. AFAIK there is no reason why you cannot replace the whole centre section with a decat straight through pipe without a remap.

However taking things a stage further if you replace the down pipe you must also replace the up pipe and vice versa.

I ran a fully decatted 01 WRX PPP for 12 months without a custom remap and apart from a couple of flat spots it was awesome.

Nathan..
Old 18 November 2003, 10:39 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

No need to remap for a centre section. Also, it's not true that you need to change the up-pipe if you change the down-pipe. It makes sense to from the point of view of power increase, and the fact that you have to take the downpipe off to get at the up-pipe, but it's definitely not essential. I ran my MY02 for a month or two with the downpipe and OEM up-pipe before I got the up-pipe on.

In the longer run, a full decat and remap is a very thing to have - reliably achieves over 280bhp and spreads the torque up and down the rev range.
Old 18 November 2003, 11:01 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hades have did you have a PPP ECU?

An MY01/02 with PPP running a decat down and centre section with a catted up pipe runs the ECU on the edge of it's capability. For example if there is too much ignition advance and the ECU can't back it off in time this will cause detonation. This is probably the number one killer of Impreza engines.

AFAIK Running this setup is not good for the long term life of the engine.

Nathan..