Notices

Spark Plug Removal & Refit - What size socket?

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 10:37 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers Paul,

TSL recommend 20ib/ft torque on the plugs. But if its a bugger to get in there I'll have to do by hand and guess work (as you described).

It's just that they think the gaps on my plugs could be a little to big and when the car is boosting I may be losing the spark monetarily which is causing the car to stutter under hard acceleration.

So I'm gonna do the plug gaps this eve, and wanted to know what size socket to get.

Cheers,

Kevin

[Edited by K9VYN - 11/6/2003 10:37:22 AM]
Old 11 June 2003, 05:11 PM
IT WRX FOR ME
Scooby Regular

I was told on here to set them at 0.7mm, which is 28 thou. I have done mine and have had no problems. Runs sweet

[Edited by IT WRX FOR ME - 11/7/2003 10:17:08 PM]
Old 11 August 2003, 04:26 PM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Ok, ended buying a complete toolkit yesterday - but it was a reasonable price and wil be handy to keep in the car instead of my big toolbox. My plugs (o/s) looked ok, so I didn't bother going through the hassle of checking the near side.

Some slighlty bad news though. one of thr o/s coilpacks has a broken piece at the top. I sealed this in place with silicone and refitted the rubber boot. I thought this must be my stutter (under hard acceleration) problem.

However, today I cleaned out my boost solenoid, and checked, cleaned and reattached the three hoses. Next to the boost solenoid there is another piece of equipment right next to the inner wing. This has a narrow 7" long piece of pipe which attaches via another piece electrical wizardry to the boots solenoid.

I removed this and blew through it. First time round is sounded as though something had been stuck in it. Subsequently is was clear. I cleaned that pipe thoroughly too. Now, I don't have the stuttering problem under hard accleration through the gears.

The only issue outstanding is a definate fuel cut type event when foot to the floor in 4th @ 60mph or 5th @ around 80mph. I may also have some slight flat spots, but hopefully that will be cured by the custom map.

So, much happier today,

Kev

ps, could this be a problem with the map being tweaked to aid spool up/boost when I also have an open neck downpipe which should also help peform this function (i.e. is the car overboosting)?

[Edited by K9VYN - 11/8/2003 4:29:42 PM]
Old 06 November 2003, 09:36 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Question

Folks,

Is 5/8 the right size and what length should the socket be in order to get at the plug, but enable me to get at it with my torque wrench?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Kevin
Old 06 November 2003, 10:28 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
small plug socket, whataver that is, best to us a purpose made ont to grip the plug.

Torque wise, I always do them by hand, but I've done 1000s of plugs up over the years. Do it up till you feel the gasket starting to get pinched, then continue till it starts to nip up, and your done.

Paul
Old 06 November 2003, 10:49 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're still running rich with the injectors, then that will cause a stutter, most probably as you come on boost, and off the closed loop lambda control.

Dropping the fuel pressure temporarily (till mapping) may solve the problem, and save some fuel

Paul
Old 06 November 2003, 10:54 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul,

I did wonder if that could have been the problem, but the fuel pressure was low apparently and there seems to be only a slight difference since its adjustment. As mentioned in my email, I'm hoping the gauge will arrive tomorrow with the pump, so I might be able to make mninor adjustments and test this before you map the car.

Cheers,

Kev

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2003, 12:43 PM
MACCAMY99
Scooby Regular

Does any know what the plug gaps are meant to be? Only I am suffering a similar problem and are wondering if its the plugs.
Old 07 November 2003, 06:26 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Apparently the gaps should be between 25thou and 28thou as WRX says. if you can get a torque wrench in there, tighten to 20lb/ft or do as Pavlo advises above.

its probably worth checking the condition of your coil packs also as i have been advised that these can also cause similar symptoms - perhaps someone else can confirm this???

Kev
Old 08 November 2003, 09:59 PM
IT WRX FOR ME
Scooby Regular

K9VYN, Glad to see things are going in the right direction
Your problems maybe sorted on the custom map, if not i'm sure the boys who are doing it will point you in the right direction.
Did you check those plug gaps? Mine were well out
Old 08 November 2003, 11:53 PM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

WRX,

only checked the o/s gaps and they were ok (i did close them a touch), plugs were a nice colour etc.. so i left the n/s as its a bit of a b*tch to get at.

cheers,

Kevin