Notices

Stone Chips (repost from general section)

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2001, 11:02 AM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

[Reposted from the General Section as it disappeared from the first page in under 1 hour!]

After many motorway miles my bonnet has more chips than Harry Ramsden's

There were no signs of rust and I wanted to keep it that way, so I've touched up most of the chips using layers of rust cure, hammerite primer, silver top coat and lacquer. I believe the metal work is now protected from the dreaded rust but the end result is still a splodgy mess

My question is what are the options for restoring it to its former glory and protecting it?

Can the chips be individually done professionally? If so how does this cost and compare to a complete strip down and respray?

Assuming the paintwork can be restored what are the options for protecting it for the future – I don’t really want to have to go through this on an annual basis

I have heard some people mention Armourfend what is this (and other similar products) does it work – how much does it cost etc?

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris.Palmer (edited 16 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 05:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Chris,

Stone chips are a BIG problem on Scooby's unless you don't drive above 40mph. Your dealer could sort them or you could try somebody like Chips Away. I havent't used them personally, but I've heard some good stories.

I had my on bonnet resprayed last year and so far have only noticed one or two since then. Cost me £150 all in.

I looked at the Armourfend stuff myself, but though it too overpriced and not protective enough. It's basically a tough film that is put on top of the bodywork. It's very good a should stop any chipping. Trouble is it only covers the most exposed areas and not the whole panel. So if you decided to protect the bonnet, it would only protect the leading edge and about 4" along the front. Wouldn't stop any chips further up the bonnet - and that's where I noticed some on my car.

Admittedly, it would stop a lot of them, but you'd only need one or two next to the protected area to feel that you'd wasted your money.

It's pretty expensive stuff. I was quoted over £500 to protect the front of the car. That's bonnet, bumper, wings, headlights and my spots.

I posted all the details last year, so try doing a search in each of the forums from about last February.

Stefan
Old 17 August 2001, 10:09 AM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ozzy,

Thanks for the info, will investigate Chips Away.

Complete respray cheaper than I expected & certainly makes Armourfend not seem cost effective - at that price I could afford to respray each year!

Old 17 August 2001, 10:11 AM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Richard Curtis:
<B>[Snip]
I'm going to take him up on it in a couple of weeks time - if interested i'll let you know how good it's worked.
[Snip]
[/quote]

Sounds a bit like the "Chips Away" guys mentioned by Ozzy. I would be interested to hear how good a job they do so please let me know - repost here and/or email me.

Thanks

Chris
Old 17 August 2001, 12:12 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Whilst at a recent scooby event in South Wales i notced a chap advertising a mobile panel retouching service. After a short chat he explained that instead of respraying he individually touched up the chips with layers of paint and wiped of excess with some sort of special solvent.

Gave me a quote for £40 for a complete bonnet with lots of small chips (including call out to your home). Although not local to yourself there must be poeple offering similar services nearer to you.

I'm going to take him up on it in a couple of weeks time - if interested i'll let you know how good it's worked.

This guy is used by regularly several dealers (not scooby) so he can't be too bad.
Old 17 August 2001, 08:51 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Hi folks ..

Can vouch for them, did a great job to my scoob, had a wheel trim cross a centre reservation and hit the front bumper square in the middle, plus all the stonechips that we all suffer

The guy matched the paint exactly then feathered in the damaged bumper and air brushed it in then laquered it ... still can't see the join some 18 months later, plus he spent about 2 hours air brushing and fixing chips on all the leading edges ... all for £75, well worth it IMHO.

They tend to be franchises so they have their own patch but they have a web site with a central number on it ...

K
Old 19 August 2001, 10:33 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Chips Away web site is