Notices

New Owner of MY93 ..Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 01:22 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The slot in ecu's are www.scoobyECU.co.uk

From the look of it there is no chip in that ecu.. the owner must have sold it separately?
see the empty slot in your pictures.. you put an extra chip in there with an updated fuel map.. ScoobyECU will sort that for you.. have one on my car.. should sort fueling too although need to mention the different turbo.

Is a strange turbo switch but probably better spool..

You can get bits of Samco hosing from www.raldes.co.uk or [urlwww.demon-tweeks.co.uk[/url] or you could fit a front entry pipe available from Mark Lateral www.lateralperformance.co.uk but I think you would need a newer manifold or spacers to get the pipework under the manifold which might be more hassle than it is worth for just replacing that pipe.

to Post pictures you need to put {img}url for picture.jpg for example{/img} where the { and } are replaced with square brackets.. edit my post to see below

JGM

[Edited by Jolly Green Monster - 11/5/2003 1:26:16 PM]
Old 11 May 2003, 02:21 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Also just noticed, like I had on my car until last week, your boost gauge connection is taken off the fuel pressure regulator line from the manifold.

Follow the orange pipe across to the right and there are three small black pipes coming off the top of the manifold..

I suggest you do as I have and remove the T from the right hand of the three pipes and connect it to the left hand one switching pipes so that it takes the line off the dump valve rather than fuel pressure regualtor.. better to risk a leak on you dump valve line than fuel pressure and this should reduce the risk of flutation in fuel pressure.

Edited to add that yes the fuel tank will be 50litres..

If you are running lean the octane booster will not make any difference, you need to get the fueling sorted asap..

JGM

[Edited by Jolly Green Monster - 11/5/2003 3:38:03 PM]
Old 11 May 2003, 04:44 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As JGM rightly says, octane booster doesn't make it run any richer, just reduces the risk of detonation, which is a serious risk if the car is running lean.

What you should do is use a good quality fuel system cleaner like STP's £13.00 one from Halfords to make sure your injectors aren't full of crap.

Then fit an uprated fuel pump and change your fuel filter.

That should do the trick.

If it's still a bit lean, you'll need to get an adjustable FPR and raise the fuel pressure.

All your mods are making the car lean out. Filter and exhaust mean better breathing, therefore more air. FMIC cools the cahrge more therefore increases it's density, so more air again. The boost hike also adds more air obviously and in terms of additional fuelling there is nothing in the way of upgrades to bring the balance back. You standard 10 year old fuel pump is probably not up to the job of keeping pace with your other mods, so it would be wise to swap it.

Lean burning leads to high temps and often damaged engine parts and expensive rebuilds, so don't cane the car as it is.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited by RICH WILD - 11/5/2003 4:50:20 PM]
Old 11 May 2003, 05:10 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

I found I was maxxing the standard 380cc injectors at 16psig(1.1bar) which was causing the AFR to lean at 5300rpm(0.5v on lambda ) and beyond. I then fitted 550cc injectors From the pictures it looks like you are still using the standard Map sensor which will also cause problems as it saturates its output at 17.2psi(1.2bar)

[Edited by Delboy2 - 11/5/2003 5:11:27 PM]
Old 03 November 2003, 10:05 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Hello All

Just got myself a MY93 Scooby and chuffed to bits
Its A WRX Import with following mods under bonnet

HKS FRONT INTERCOOLER
HKS SUPER POWER FLOW AIR FILTER
HKS ELECTRONIC VALVE CONTROLLER
HKS SQV DUMP VALVE
HKS BOOST GAUGE
P1 TURBO
3" Exhaust system, Decatted

Just wanting to get to know my car a bit better, I have posted here regarding ECU tpye with pictures...

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=267496

Out of the box what BHP/Torque did this car have ? Are manufacturer claims at wheels or flywheel??

It has a P1 turbo fitted, Why is this, Better??, Just a replacement???

Can you map/tune a Standard ECU ?

It apparantly has 285 BHP, Have Dynograph for it.. (powerstation)
is this about right with above mods, all could it of had some other work done??

Turbo boost. I have set my turbo to boost to 1.1 bar max, Is this correct?

When people say 'bigger turbo fitted' does this give your more power by upping boost levels or some how else (My thoughs are ..more boost equals engine mods need doing to cope)

Also good place Glos/Chelt/Bristol area for Checking car over/service/tuning etc etc (someone who's really on the ball!)

I look forward to yuor replies

I hope to fully understand my car soonio

Cheers

Rob

Old 04 November 2003, 09:54 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Your car should have been 240PS standard on 100 RON fuel so at a guess that's around 225-230bhp (obviously no 2 cars are EXACTLY the same). Not sure on the torque off the top of my head but around the 220lbsft mark rings a bell.

That's at the flywheel. All Manufacturer figures are.

The P1 Turbo is a VF28, and it's a strange swap for someone with a 93 WRX to do as in some respects it's a step backwards unless quicker spool up was the aim.

Does the turbo feed from the front or does the inlet pipework run round the back of the inlets and into the turbo at a 90 degree angle? I would be initially sceptical that it actually has a P1 turbo as it's not exactly a straightforward swap and is fairly involved.

Any chance you can post pics of the engine bay?

285bhp at Powerstation is not half bad as they are fairly conservative by all accounts. With a FMIC though the potential for a lot more is there. 1.1bar is only fairly low boost.

I'd want to be fitting a knocklink if I were you.

A remappable ECU may also be a good idea for you with bigger injectors too for big power. You could probably run a bit more power quite happily as you are, but you'd definately need to be using a good octane booster and keep an eye on the knocklink.

Rich
Old 04 November 2003, 11:18 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rich

Powerstation confirmed it is a P1 Turbo, Has a 90 Degree inlet/outlet he said.... I need to sort out the hosing from there to the air intake, is a 90 degree fitting and they have used flexihose which can collapse ... Need to get a better pipe in there.....

Regarding ECU, It has a sticker on it, suggesting work has been done to it, Project F tuning centre it says, Going to take lid of to see whats in there later...

So the figure powerstation gave me for BHP from rolling road is at the engine too I take it then... Do i take it we all ignore the 'at wheels' figure...

Cheers
Old 04 November 2003, 11:56 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Got a few pics inside of my ECU

here:

www.rjwindustrialrepairs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Any ideas...

Whats this I hear about a my95/6 ECU fitting straight in and giving more power etc??

Cheers

Rob
Old 04 November 2003, 11:56 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

P1 turbo on a WRX. Never heard of that being done before. Weird.

It's actually a smaller turbo, so it was obviously done with response in mind.

Most rolling roads quote flywheel horsepower but can tell you the at the wheels figure if you need it.

People tend to use ATF horsepower over here as

a)it's a bigger number, so SOUNDS better
b)most manufacturers quote ATF horsepower in magazines and stuff so that is the benchmark.

In Aus it's pretty much the opposite (maybe because they are upside down ). No one bothers about ATF figures, it's all ATW.

Old 04 November 2003, 12:16 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

More pics under bonnet now at

www.rjwindustrialrepairs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

How do I link to picture on my site via this forum like others

Says html not allowed when posting

Again cheers for all replies,, Want to get to know my scooby better and then know where i can go from here

Cheers
Rob
Old 04 November 2003, 08:33 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Hello again!!!

Right then... As Powerstation told me its running a bit lean, Shall I use a petrol additive.

I can purchase Aidon Automotive PETROL OCTANE BOOSTER loccaly £10.00 per litre... Says on back 1 litre will treat 20 -100 Litres.... Thats a good guide aint it!!

Do you recommend using this product and what shall I add... Say .5 Litres booster to 1 tank of fuel (50 litres)

I take it scoobys MY93 WRX do have a 50litre tank...

Cheers again

Rob
Old 05 November 2003, 05:09 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Cheers for replies!!

Jolly Green Monster

I see you put a link to scoobyecu.co.uk

Obviously all I get from this link is a piccy of what i would call a daughter card (blank slots).. Whats do i need to get my car chipped, One of these scoobyecu boards and then somebodys chip??

Do they program chips for my cars set, or are they blank and I get them programmed at tuning station???? Or are they plug and go????

Please teach me about Chipping my scooby,, very fresh with this stuff mate

Cheers

Rob
Old 05 November 2003, 05:14 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

The scoobyecu is plug and go It will have a revised fuel and ignition maps which will be more suited to UK fuel (Opimax) which will help reduce detonation
Old 05 November 2003, 05:22 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Hello

Right then , All you kind fellows have advised I change fuel pump and get an Adjustable Fuel Pressure Reg.. FPR I take it!!

I can fit the fuel pump easily, where would i fit the FPR and where is the best place to get a new fuel pump and FPR...... Maybe instructions come with it!!!

I have this fitted allready

HKS Dump Valve SQV
HKS ECV 4
HKS Boost Gauge (BAR)
HKS Front Intercooler
HKS FCD (fuel cut defender) by ECU (set to 8)
HKS Super Power Flow Air Filer (induction kit)
Decatted with 3" Exhuast system throughout

Engine sounds sweet, No sigh of Detonation/Knock etc

So I start with New High pressure Fuel pump. Get some Fuel line cleaner (STP) and replace fuel filter.....

Next a Knock sensor--- Defo!!

Where shall I go from here

Too me it seems I have quite a few nice mods, but without and ECU/Remap I am not using these mods to the fullest pottential..
How much can I expect to pay for an ECU update/chip

Am I correct??

thanks again for all your input, Just buying this car I am obviously wet behind the ears... but with your help I shall be up to speed on it asap and then onto getting the most out of what its allready got

Old 05 November 2003, 05:28 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

The scoobyecu is available from Dave Wallis, Pavlo and another variant by Scott T. The board and chips were about £75 from what I remember Lateral Performance would be a good source for Fuel Pump and AFR (Speak to R13KET aka Mark from L P he posts on SNet)
Old 06 November 2003, 12:13 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Delboy,

How you were maxing the standard injectors @ 16psi I don't know. Your fuel pump must have been shot or must have been some other factor in the fuelling system causing the leanness

I have run 1.5 bar on 2 different UK cars both with standard 380 injectors and they were still fuelling quite adequately well into the 330-340bhp range on standard FPRs. I also know of at least 4 other cars with the same setup and power.

The standard MAP sensor is also good for 1.5 bar.

Cheers

Rich
Old 06 November 2003, 06:24 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Rich you say you ran 1.5 bar did you use a fuel cut defender to achieve this if so then don't you fool the ecu by limiting the signal from the map to the ecu eg running 1.5 bar , ecu thinking it is about 1.1 bar , as i also thought that the 93 wrx limit is about 1.1 bar as the map sensor has a limit of about 1.2 bar so that is why the scooby ecu's only go to 1.1 bar and the fuel cut is set at about 1.15 bar . I may be wrong . Also don't the uk cars run a different map sensor . Any ideas ??

Mark
Old 07 November 2003, 09:36 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

On one car I did, on the other car I didn't as it has a Link ECU and it happily runs 1.5 bar to the redline in 5th!

When Bob Rawle mapped it he thought we may need a 3 bar MAP sensor but said we try the OEM one first and see how it went, and it went ok, so we left it.

Not sure whether UKs have a different one or not, but I agree with you about the FCD bit.

Cheers

Rich
Old 07 November 2003, 08:12 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rich..

Erm.. Id believe what delboy says.. he runs one of my boards with a custom map.. My old map as a base.. with tweeks done by himself..

same fuel pump, bigger injectors and no probs..

David
Old 07 November 2003, 08:50 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

The max range of the standard (Pre 97) Map sensor is 17.2psig which equates to 4.90v output. The MY00 Map sensors max range is 24.2psig which equates to 4.90v output. These were both calibrated in a test environment Cheers David
Old 10 November 2003, 11:50 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Why can I do 1.5bar with one then?

Old 10 November 2003, 05:35 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

IMHO you must have some form of 'frig' electronically or pneumatically to run 1.5bar on the OEM sensor, failing that the Map sensor may have been changed to a later version as they are ranged to 1.66bar max.
Old 11 November 2003, 10:29 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

The sensor is the original 96 UK sensor. The car was bought BOG standard.

There's no electrical or other friggery either. The car runs a link ECU running from the standard MAP sensor. I had an FCD on the standard ECU but this was removed and sold when the Link was fitted.

So this is very strange. Can anyone clear this confusion up for us?

Rich
Old 11 November 2003, 04:13 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Post the OEM Map sensors Id numbers found on the Denso sticker.
Old 12 November 2003, 01:13 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

22012AA020

and

079800-1720

Rich
Old 12 November 2003, 01:23 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
maybe injector timing is different?

firing injectors when valve is closed???

David
Old 12 November 2003, 03:09 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Hello Chaps

How about getting back to my initial thread :O)

Who out there is running a ScoobyECU on 93/4 WRX Import

I have just fitted an uprated fuel pump and cleaned air flow sensor and new HKS powerflow filter...

Want to know in depth on whats best ECU upgrade is

Seems

Scooby ECU £75, and just plug in...

Or Uni-Chip and map etc for £600

Some info would be greatly appreciated

Rob
Old 12 November 2003, 08:56 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Do not see the point in the Unichip when a Link is £695 + mapping fee.. and a lot more for your money than a Unichip imho..

I just bought one managed to get a secondhand one though..

Interesting about the map sensor..

JGM
Old 13 November 2003, 12:17 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

unichip is quite good.. if considering it speak to owen developments.

Delboy.. anychance of a copy of your current map, as mine has allsorts of **** in it..

David
Old 13 November 2003, 07:31 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

David YHM

Quick Reply: New Owner of MY93 ..Lots of questions