Notices

retro fitting a sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2001, 04:42 PM
Chris J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car (306 rallye) has no sunroof in it as present. Has anyone ever tried getting one fitted, either by the manufacturer, or an independant company.

I know this is odd, and a bit of a scary prospect of someone hacking a hole in a perfectly good roof, but wondered whether it could be done.

Cheers

Chris
Old 28 June 2001, 08:39 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

There used to be quite a few companies advertising this, the demand dropped off as cars started came with one as standard.

Talk to your dearlership or friendly garage they should be able to put you in touch with someone.

Or
do a search...
Webasto make the material type sunroofs as fitted to classics - they look OK on moderns thou.
Old 28 June 2001, 09:30 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

Go to a scrap yard.

Find a 306 with sunroof.
Cut the roof out about 4 inchs all round
Now take roof home
Put roof on your car, draw out line, cut out your roof, weld in new roof, fill, blend spray etc

Its not that simple but they are the basics.
Old 28 June 2001, 11:28 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Yup

Had one fitted to my first car - a Mini Van

Bloke turned up (mobile fitter) got his template out, drew in the outline in permanent marker, drilled a hole slightly in from the edge, inserted metal cutter (like a jig-saw but different) & cut out the hole according to the template markings. He then placed the new sunroof chasis in the (to my mind) outsize hole, did some positioning tests, then proceeded to add mucho sealant to the edges (important this). Once applied, he placed sunroof chasis top (they come in 2 halves) in and from below put the other half in place & tightened with screwdriver.

Hey presto

Headlining not a prob as I didn't have any

I seem to remember, he charged me about £120 (1984 ) & I had a discount as no headlining, but a bit extra 'cos of vinyl roof

Old 29 June 2001, 10:03 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Ian Bannings in Guildford used to do this a few years ago - not sure about now. I think they did a tilt and slide, the best one they did and was about 400 quid.

I'd say you're best bet is to speak to a dealer first as you don't want to mess up the structural ridgidity of the car body.

(Why didn't you buy the GTi-6 if you wanted a sunroof out of interest??)
Old 30 June 2001, 07:49 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Sunroof`s are over rated IMHO I had a slide one in my Golf GTI & I must have opened it 10 times in 4 years. Don`t get a retro fit one as when you come to sell the car it`ll probably put people off, it would if I was looking at another car. Well thats my opionion anyway.
Old 01 July 2001, 10:02 AM
GrahamF
Scooby Regular

Had one fitted to my MY96 by a place in Southampton (I think they were called Chapman's from memory). Proper Subaru spec tilt'n'slide, auto close, one touch operation. Complete with complete new roof lining which matched perfectly, and relocated interior light. Brilliant. Cost about £900 though.

Graham F