Notices

SOMEONE HELP (BRAKES WILL NOT BLEED)

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2001, 09:00 PM
Greenman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP ANYONE.

JUST FITTED 4 POT CALAPERS TO MY 96 WRX, BUT I AM UNABLE TO BLEED THEM PROPERLY (4 LITRES LATER) IE THE PEDAL STAYS SOFT OR SPONGY AND TRAVELS ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. AS YOU CAN IMAGINE I DO NOT THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA TO GO FOR A BLAST LIKE THIS. (WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS ALREADY). ANY IDEAS ..... PLEASE..... IS THERE A COMBINATION? OR SUCH LIKE.... MANY THANKS...... IN ANTICIPATION.

SCOTT
Old 24 June 2001, 09:47 PM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Scott,

I've just been replacing my Piston Seals on the rear of my 95 WRX and everything is fine.

Bleeding sequence is OSF,NSR,NSF,OSR. That's what I use anyway and not had problems.

I use one of the One Man Bleeding kits but also I get someone to pump the pedal whilst I'm underneath. Have you check for leaks and can you assure that all joints are tight.

Get someone to help you out by sitting in the car, start in the order I mentioned above and get them to pump 5 times and then hold. Tighten up bleed nipple, release pedal and then repeat again twice on each wheel.

Make sure you keep an eye on the fluid level and make sure you top it up after each wheel.

I fitted braided hoses not so long back and I only used a litre, sounds like you got some air in there.

Good luck

Neil
a.k.a. Octane Man
Old 24 June 2001, 11:05 PM
Greenman
Scooby Newbie

THANKS MATE ILL GIVE IT A GO !!!!! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Octane Man:
<B>Scott,

I've just been replacing my Piston Seals on the rear of my 95 WRX and everything is fine.

Bleeding sequence is OSF,NSR,NSF,OSR. That's what I use anyway and not had problems.

I use one of the One Man Bleeding kits but also I get someone to pump the pedal whilst I'm underneath. Have you check for leaks and can you assure that all joints are tight.

Get someone to help you out by sitting in the car, start in the order I mentioned above and get them to pump 5 times and then hold. Tighten up bleed nipple, release pedal and then repeat again twice on each wheel.

Make sure you keep an eye on the fluid level and make sure you top it up after each wheel.

I fitted braided hoses not so long back and I only used a litre, sounds like you got some air in there.

Good luck

Neil
a.k.a. Octane Man[/quote]

Old 24 June 2001, 11:09 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry to point out what might be obvious, but have you got the caliper on the right side, ie, bleed nipple at the top!
It might sound daft but I've known a few people make this mistake.
Good luck
Ron
Old 25 June 2001, 08:51 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott,
I did a similar swap from 2 pots and my pedal moves about half way before biting - but at least they work well. I am sure I have bled the system OK.
MY owners book speaks of adjusting the brake pedal travel. Perhaps this is your problem rather than air?
Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to poke around and see where to adjust the travel.
The manual says that initial pedal travel should be 3-8mm with engine off and master cylinder vacuum removed.
With engine on, the pedal movement should be no more than 65mm.

Nick
Old 26 June 2001, 12:52 AM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sounds like the calipers are on the wrong side, the pedal should act as normal when changing from 2-pots to 4-pots.

How do i know? I put the calipers on the wrong side, and had the exact same trouble
Old 26 June 2001, 08:13 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Smile

SCOTT,
You Tw@t, make sure that you put the wheels on the right way huh!

Cheers
Chris

P.S.
Have fun in Dublin m8

[This message has been edited by SCOOP (edited 26 June 2001).]
Old 27 June 2001, 06:59 PM
Greenman
Scooby Newbie

Cool

THANKS ALL
AND YES IM A TW@T...............